Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
to mle08 - fight4dream
dear mle08,
what happened to u later? pls answer...i am curious...god bless

http://www.usmleforum.com/archives/2006/2/134425.php
mle08 - 10/31/06 23:47

hi ppl,
im a silent observer of this forum...recently gave step1 and passed ..step 1 forum was very useful.....boosted my confidence a lot... have kids and a full time mom its so hard ..and now im here preparin to take ck in feb and cs in march ,hopin to go match next year..
sometimes the thot of matching for residency, bein and old med grad often worries me a lot...i dont have any research exp or USCE ,except that ive been working as a GP in my country..
friends do i still have a chance ....are there any programmes that dont consider year of graduation(1990) or do i have to give up.... goin thru a troubled marriage , harrassment from my inlaws and now the worry of whether i wud get ivs next year makes me so depressed. only my children(10 & 8 yrs) are my strength ... they gave me a lot of support when i prepared for step1 , thier smiles keep me going thru all odds...and i dont intend to give up yet... but i dont know i am doin the right thing ... do i chance a chance for residency next year Sad

frankly u need very good scores and you definiteley need current US clinical experience. no way around that. apply to programs who do not have a graduation cutoof there arent many but if you dont care about geography then u wull find enough that meet your criteria.
if you are going through all the trouble of preparing for exams and applying (very expensive also) I will strongly advice you to go the extra mile and get some USCE. i know its hard to get and u have kids but trust me it will help u a lot. After your CS get some USCE in some community hospital that is IMG freindly and takes old grads and IMPRESS the heck out of them. that way you can make contacts in that hospital and get good LORs from US docs which will help trememdously.
make sure u get good grades and no attempts (especially prepare for CS well, lot of old IMG srew this one up (me one of them:-) ) so study hard and get some USCE.
many programs filter out applications based on yr of graduation so dont apply to them
GL
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »