Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MPH, Post doc fellow, or Medical Assistant? - geogre09
Anybody please give me some idea!
Post doc fellow research, MPH (Master of Public Health), Medical Assistants, or any others, which one is good for your Residency application? I am an old IMG, need an income for the long-way run. Before I came to the US, I was a researcher in my country with few publications. I am confused which one is really good for the application.
Many thanks to your advice! Please!
If wants apply University program where research is priority than Post doc fellow or MPH
if wants to be good clnician in very busy community hospital with plenty of USCE than MA
Thanks cssuccess09 for your reply!
MPH, Medical Assistant and Postdoc Fellow, all these will be counted as USCE? Obsererships or Externship also be considered as USCE as well?
Sorry for these silly questions!
well traditionally MPH is not much help if you don't have good profile
as it already said it considered well by uni programs for that you need good profile

post doc fellow is definitely good then MPH but depends on your subject

medical assistant is usually a good choice for people with average profile plus you have clinical exposure and considered very well by programs

Hey geogre09 these are actually not silly questions at all, more serious than most will aknowledge, first of all: welcome to my world. I guess the answer to your question is not a simple one, first it all depend on what direction you want to go, if clinical the MA seems better but in fact it will not help much, you will make $9-12/hr will work like a slave just taking vitals, doing EKGs, obtaining brief hx and a bunch of stuff that include cleaning etc that will make you feel frustrated, worthless and with little inpact in your application. If you want non clinical residency then Post Fellow seems better but its almost impossible to get in, in most places they will tell you are not qualified (not record in US) or will not answer at all. Sorry, I dont want to discourage you, keep trying and just make sure you pass the STEPS in your first attempt with good scores (+85). Good luck.

Thanks drkuuul and columbus for your advice! Many thanks to all!
As columbus' idea, with the application in clinical residency, Medical Assistant will have a little impact. Do you think Observership or Externship will do better?
Thanks again! Good luck!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »