Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
already pregnant, insurance coverage?? - drkkdb
Hello everyone,

I want information on what should be the best option for me?

I will be joining residency on h1b this july.

Would any health insurance plan cover the pregnncy and child birth expenses if my wife pregnant before we go to USA?

What are the available options for me?
somebody? anybody? please answer !
You and your spouse will be covered with the insurance provided by your employer when you are in H1b.
Hi, when i came to the USA last year i was already pregnant in my 14th week, and my husband was not working at that time, we used to live in newyork, so what i did is that i went to the hospital, told them that i have no insurance, and they asked my to apply for pcap which is kind of insurance for pregnancy and 40 days postpartum and it covers the baby after his birth(he is american citizin), and i did, it was not complicated at all, and it worked the way they said Smile
so don't be afaid, every pregnant lady in the USA who doesn't have insurance is covered by the government Smile
Health Insurance will be provided by the program for you and your dependants but it will not cover any pre existing conditions and that includes pregnancy. If your wife is already pregnant and plans to come here then there are some insuarance which can provide just maternity coverage which is in the form of disscounted rates for physician visits and delivery. Though it won't be as good if you had a proper insuance but still it will be good enough.

Google search for maternity insuance in the area where you match.
Every state has different rules. Do your homework well and study your state rules in depth before deciding this. And yes, almost every pregnant lady is covered by the gov. if no insurance UNLESS the family is on J-1, J-2 visas...Man!!! it's hell that way...I know because one of my friends went through that torture.
Guys,

You can not speak in such generic way. Health insurance vary between programs and Hospitals.
If specific hospital provide HMO health insurace, it will not cover her.

If they have PPO health insurance, it may or may not.

The best solution, you should look at information that you receievd during your interview. It will state what type and what covers. At last but not least, contact program after match and get all the information about thier health insurce.
what i was talking about is an insurance for the pregnant lady no matter whether her husbant got a residancy position or not. when i was applying they told me that they don't even care who is the father!!!!!!! what they care about is the pregnant lady and her child, at least that is the case in newyork!
As far as I know pregnancy has been excluded from 'pre existing conditions'. It is no longer categorized as a disease.
Two basic facts about health insurance and pregancy.
1.Some health insurance companies still considered it as pre-existing condition;some no longer classified it as such and will cover it since it's a normal physiologic process and NOT an illness. To make sure, inquire what insurance company your center is currently having(of course you will know it after the matching or if you're already prematched.Call HRD and inquire.The not so good thing about health insurances nowadays is that most companies are in cost cutting measures and are changing to insurance with limited coverages.
2. Very important- most companies will only grant health insurance to dependents and some priveledges ONLY after a 90 days(3 months) probationary period, and residency is not and never an exemtion. It's is therefore important to have to some cash in hand for thos that will be bringing their families(spouse and kids) during this 3 month period. Consultation alone will cost you on average $120 dollars;but their will be County hospitals for those that can't afford. Hope this info can be of help.
One last thing- for those that are not yet aware of it - health insurances(as well as dental and optical) are NOT 100% paid by your employeer- you will pay for your share which is usually runs between $200-300/month.And in every consultation there's always a co-pay which is usually around $30 dollars on average.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »