Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
##-- lessons learnt --## - carpe_diem
Be sure to recheck your ERAS CAF for spelling mistakes. Saving the eras application is a two step process. When you first press save it saves only as a draft. You have to save it for a second time if the changes are to be made permanent. I'm a careful person and checked my application for spelling mistakes several times and saved the application. But as I was in a hurry I had forgotton to press the save button second time and found out that I had submitted the application with 6 spelling mistakes (unedited version) only after submitting. Could not correct them afterwards and was really worried for sometime and I could not belive this .
Luckily everything turned out well and I matched.
My 2 cents......most imporatnt thing is your scoressssss......and second contactsssssss.Period.
agree with guest123

my personal opinion- PS is way overrated. again am not saying its not imp or take it easy, But 6 of 8 commu progs i went for iv did not even look at it.

again, do it ur self, make sure no mistakes esp spelling, dont copy or hire some idiot to do it (its very tempting though, after u feel ur hopelessly lost and confused)

but my bottom line is dont sweat toooo much on it, again i emphasize tooo much aspect.

my reasoning is - put ur self in the guy who reviews ps to give iv ( though i dought it very much, as they dont have time as such and with so many appli, all apply to >100 prog etc etc)

so unless u really have a great story which is not the routine like-

1. i worked hard from my diaper days
2. my coll is top 10 etc
3. i like puzzles, Sherlock homes is my fav etc
4. vivekanada is my inspiration, mother Theressa is what i will be etc...

5. and guys PLEASE stop writing pulse polio and red cross blood donations. one PD literally laughed it off and said he came across it in CAF of 90% from indian imgs

so this is my cents, now dont start blasting me off. good luck and congrats to all matched, lets have another party on 18.

and thanks carpe, great idea and huge benefit to others. imgspouse ur too good.
thanks carpe

just one question

Be honest while filling your CAF. Don™t BS.---->what you mean by "BS"
my lessons:
1. dont be overconfident even if you have 99/99/99 or just anything above the ordinary; dont be extermely low even if you are 75 3rd attempt/77 2nd attemp or CS fail.

2. the programs need someone who truely fits them. you may be too good for a program that means that a bright candidate might need feel good at a lousy program and the PD and faculty knows what kinda programs it is. so if you dont match at a certain program, its a good thing, you might not have been happy there. they r just different people, not good, not bad just different.

3. be honest, in studying for exams(no shortcut, no smart studying just plain old hard work), in applying, in CAF, in PS, in IVs, during observerships, JUST BE HONEST, SHOW GENUINE INTEREST, BE YOURSELF. faking anything is sin.

4. scores and contacts will get you Interview, but after that, its all how much you shine during the interview and after that till you match.

5. if you are good and honest, someone will catch you. as much as you need residency, the programs need you too so be yourself, learn to sell yourself and you will be fine.

6. ITS YOUR LIFE, DONT BLINDLY FOLLOW THE FORUM OR ANY ONE YOU HEAR ON THE STREET. YOUR MISTAKES OR YOURS, YOUR WIN IS YOURS..
Absolutely splendidoferous! We nearly forgot that such helpful guys exist in this forum! We've listened to the crap of Pak*fu*ker and Hin*ufag*ot for so long!! Hats off guys! Good luck!
lovely! thankyou guys for taking the time and the effort. GL to you all and congrats on the matching.
@ All contributors

Thanks for the tips. I am sure if we share our experiences, it would certainly help others.
This are the last few days for me on this forum and I hope to share whatever I can.

@ suicidalidea
Cant say I am a big fan of you ID !!
BS = BullShit.
What I meant was, if you were involved in say a Research project, then on your CAF dont exaggerate your role. You never know if and when some interviewer might be knowing your Boss, or might be on the Grant Committee.

I PLAN TO ADD SOME MORE POINTS TO THIS THREAD LATER TODAY.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »