Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME 04 Form 01 Q 8 - drock
Guys please don't think the answer is because I got 0 in behavioral science.
Only god know what they want to know from us !!!!!!!!!
Please let me know your thought about the question.

A 27-year-old woman with alcohol dependence and major depressive disorder tells the physician that she has been repeatedly physically and emotionally abused by her current partner. Which of the following is the most appropriate initial response by the physician?

A ) "Battering only grows worse over time. For your safety and self-esteem, it is in your best interest to leave this relationship."
B ) "Do you feel it is safe for you to return home?"
C ) "Is there any way you can keep him from getting so angry?"
D ) "There may be a correlation between your history of alcoholism and the abuse. If you take some steps to stop your alcohol intake, the abuse may possibly subside."
E ) "Why do you think your partner abuses you?"
is it B....... ? because if the answer is "No"..... the lady has to be given rescue... I think I heard it in the lecture on spousal abuse of kaplans....
I answered E, forgot to write. But will not we ask all the open ended questions to the patient? Because answer E will lead the lady to tell her story more to us, then we will be able to understand what we can do for her safety?

Piro what do you think?
Bbbbb
Drock,
You say right . We need more information. I change B to E.
yeah it is open ended.... and in one of the question banks.... a similar question ... "i mean in that case the question was ... "Why do you think you deserve a punishment from God? "..... in case of a mother with a child with downs syndrome.... was its too personal and irrelevant... here too by that criteria... that question is open ended and tooo vague... but B as i eluted to earlier sounds... like sumthing u will do to save her inspite of the fact she drinks and has depression ...

Now the funny thing is she has major depressive disorder and chronic alcoholism.. both making her delusional and she cud be telling lies here... so clinically i wud look at injuries at sites where she cannot self inflict... like say back of thighs.. back of extremities... and defensive injuries like extensor of fore arms.. and palms and shoulders... instead of flexor aspects of arms(all part of self injury game).... I think i am watchin too much of law and order... lol.... sorry for overshootin guys... was high on caffeine.. lol!
lihaix... whats the answer in the answer key..?
The lady is in dangerous situation although she has chronic alcoholism. You need to read her mind. Safety is first for your treating your patient like child or elderly abuse. Is this reasonable.
fair enough. Thanks
As a psychiatrist, the first thing that would seem logical for me to ask such a patient (even before reading the choices) is why do you think he does it?

I go with E.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »