Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
J1 research to clinical gather here ..........! - j1visa
I have contacted ECFMG regarding the J1 research to Clinical J1 conversion.they send the same sample email reply to every one i understand because of heavy load of questions it not possible for them to answer individually.
I believe there are lot of people in this forum who are confused about this issue.lets make this a plateform for helpping each other with whatever knowledge we have.we will appreciate those who have passed through this process and if he/she can guide us.
Email sample is:-
Thank you for contacting me with your questions. As you may know, the Fulbright-Hays Act of the United States prescribes, among others, the following categories of eligible J-1 exchange participants: students, scholars, professors, researchers, and alien physicians. The Act authorizes non-immigrants to enter the United States as exchange visitors on J-1 visas to participate in programs for temporary training. ECFMG can not initiate sponsorship for entry into a clinical training program for any individual in a J-1 visa category other than that of "alien physician" at the time of application. In some cases, ECFMG can petition the U.S. Department of State (DoS) for permission to do so. The DoS has indicated that in addition to demonstrating consistency with and relationship to one's original exchange objective, a worthy case petition must establish the need for the change in category based on unusual and exceptional circumstances.

Receipt of the documentation listed below allows ECFMG to evaluate an individual's eligibility to petition the DoS for a change in category.

* Complete Application for Initial ECFMG Sponsorship (available on the ECFMG website at www.ecfmg.org
* Copies of all current and previous Forms DS-2019
* Copy of current Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record
* Letter from the exchange visitor physician outlining his/her educational objectives in the United States, correlation between current research activities and proposed clinical activities, and how this objective relates to anticipated activities upon return to the home country
* Letter of support from current research program director clearly explaining the relationship between the research and proposed training
* Signed acknowledgment from the Responsible Officer ("RO") or Alternate Responsible Officer ("ARO") of the current sponsoring institution confirming his/her knowledge that (1) a change in category is being pursued and (2) program release and transfer will be granted if DoS approves the requested change in category; requested acknowledgement should be confirmed through completion of the "Department of State Change of Category Acknowledgement" form available at http://www.ecfmg.org/evsp/category.pdf
* Letter of support from proposed clinical program director clearly explaining the relationship between the research and proposed training
* ECFMG fee of $360.00 ($200.00 general application fee + $160.00 DoS petition fee)

* Whenever possible, payment should be made online via OASIS on the ECFMG website

* DoS petition fee of $246.00

* This fee is separate from and in addition to any ECFMG fees
* Whenever possible, payment should be made online via OASIS on the ECFMG website
* ECFMG will submit payment on behalf of the applicant to DoS

* Proof of SEVIS payment (i.e., receipt)

* The $180 SEVIS fee must be paid for every change of category petition, even if paid previously upon original entry to the United States
* The fee is payable online at fmjfee.com ; a printable receipt should be immediately available
* Information from the current (i.e., research) DS-2019 should be used to complete payment

Upon receipt and review of the above-listed items, ECFMG will determine an individual's eligibility to petition DoS for a change in visa category. As individual circumstances vary, additional documentation may also be requested. The DoS reserves 60-90 days to render its decision.

It is important to keep in mind that, if a change in visa category is approved, ECFMG sponsorship is limited to the specific training / timeframe requested in the original petition, not to exceed 7 years. Any deviation from the original training plan, including subspecialty training, must be approved through re-petition to the DOS. It is also imperative to remember that any applicant for a change in category is required to maintain his/her J-1 status throughout the petition process. There is no pending status while a petition is being reviewed by the DoS. Therefore, there can be no gap between research and the proposed clinical program if the applicant plans to pursue a change of category petition through the DoS.

So if any body can answer few questions which are in my mind
1:-some j1 research are bound to 2 year HRR some are not so will the same documentation be required for both?
2:-How can we get sample of Letter of support from current research program director clearly explaining the relationship between the research and proposed training just to get idea?
3:-How can we get sample Letter from the exchange visitor physician outlining his/her educational objectives in the United States, correlation between current research activities and proposed clinical activities, and how this objective relates to anticipated activities upon return to the home country ?
4:-Letter of support from proposed clinical program director clearly explaining the relationship between the research and proposed training
So if any body can answer few questions which are in my mind
1:-some j1 research are bound to 2 year HRR some are not so will the same documentation be required for both?
2:-How can we get sample of Letter of support from current research program director clearly explaining the relationship between the research and proposed training just to get idea?
3:-How can we get sample Letter from the exchange visitor physician outlining his/her educational objectives in the United States, correlation between current research activities and proposed clinical activities, and how this objective relates to anticipated activities upon return to the home country ?
4:-How can we get sample Letter of support from proposed clinical program director clearly explaining the relationship between the research and proposed training?
If any other specific issue we need to adress and take care of
there are no samples, you have to draft all of these letters by yourself and by your PI and your PD...
This is ridiculous! I just talked to my residency program international office regarding change of category and they didn't ask for those letters and statements!!! I will talk to my research program international office tomorrow. Meanwhile, I keep my fingers crossed that we are not gonna need those absurd letters and statements! Otherwise , it will be a pain (a big pain) in the back!
I feel that we eventually need all those statements and letters! By the way the fee is gonna be like 410 US$ (not 360, because ECFMG fee has increased from 200 to 250) + 246 US$ DoS application feem + 180 US$ SEVIS fee !!!!!!!!!
i agree we need all those statements and ECFMG will decide on individual basis what additional documents are required and than will forward petition to DOS.
As mentioned this process takes 60-90 days which is quite long considering the ecfmg will send our documents to DOS in first week of may.Any body who has gone through this process can tell exactly what time is required?
I am also going through the same process. submitted the application to ECFMG.
It does not matter if you are subject to 2 yr HR requirement or not you have to complete all these documents.
get it to ECFMG soon, because the time of 60-90days starts when ECFMG file the petition to DOS.
and additionally for a preliminary posiotn you have to submit a letter from the applicant and the proposed PD about the understanding that you will progress to the advance position next year and finish within the ACGME required years.
dlmo! Would you please tell us how much exactly you paid to ECFMG? is my calculation (410 + 246) US$ correct? And when did you (or are you gonna) pay the SEVIS (I-901) fee? Did you (or are you gonna) use the information in your old DS-2019 (your current SEVIS number) for paying the SEVIS fee? Thanks!
Yes you have to pay through OASIS a total of $656 (250+160 to ECFMG and 246 to DOS), you have to use your old DS2019 # to pay your SEVIS fee, I have paid for all the fee (including SEVIS) and attached print of reciepts with the application.
Thanks a bunch dlmo! Please keep us posted about the progress of your application.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »