Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
advice plez - orthoxray
Now I have been a silent observer in this forum. I need advice on my situation.

Graduated in 1997 did one year of internship in my country. My examinations are as follows
1999 step 1 77 first attempt
2000 step2 78 second attempt
2001 CSA (yes at the time it was called clinical skill assessment) passed from the first attempt. Unfortunately I took it in March 2001 and those how took the exam in March 2001 the exam expired and they need to take the new step2CS

Tried the 2001 and 2002 match. Only 2 IVs in psychiatry.

I then took a research position. Had about 5 publications and good LORs from research doctors (not physicians) while working in research in tried to take step 3 two times but failed

Now I am 37 no wife no future, all the effort I put in medical school is gone giving that the medical field has changed a lot (although I always scored Excellent in my medical school, and I was on the top of my class)

Now I have GC, should I go for step 3 and CS exams or should I return to my country. Notice that I have been laid off from my research job 2 years ago and can not find any job even with my excellent research skills.

What would you do if you are in my shoe?
1. Have u done a PhD here?
2. Are your publications First Author?
3. Do u have Presentations at meetings.. posters?

If u have not dun ur PhD... apply into a PhD prgram.... will start giving u an income.!!!

Marriage is Not a necessity in my view... It just adds to responsibilty and Its a very risky game... So dont worry... Probably thats ur advantage! Dont care about people who say If U are not married ... U are not living etc etc.....

Stick onnnnn....attempt again at the match .... i wud say if u get a job ... 2matches... apply to FM / peds and IM programs.. Try to get ur research Job at a University Hospital center.... Get help from Ur relatives and friends... Ask for help..... Never forget You aare a Doctor.. Once u are out of this valley.. You will pay all of them back!!!!

And Once u get ur position.... marry and be happy..... WHo doesnt want to marry a settled US doctor?????

I will pray for u !!!!!

wht about expiration of usmle scores...that 7 yrs rule? u took it almost 10 yrs back? i am not sure though...if u can, try to re-take the tests and get better scores...or atleast with no attempt. yes it sux to be jobless in the us...too expensive and we cant practice. if u can get a decent job back home, u may try it and improve ur resume and re-take steps at peace and re-aply with a strong package. u dont need to suffer. who cares about a wife man!!!! at least to me! i gave that up!!! ppl these days try to marry u for $$ or ur GC and soon they get a better position, they trash u! dont hurry for that one if u want to do ur residency! or at least take time for a good one. it is all up to u. at least u have good credit to get a real good job in med at ur home country or other countries and come back to the US for ur residency(if u cant find a good job here). gl
Piroxicam

Thanks for your reply.

No I did not do any PhD in USA.

Some of my publications are first authors otherwise I am always second.
Posters and presentations, I can not even count that. I can fill one page in my CV.

I did all of that on my own. I do not have any relatives or friends in USA
I am not sure if I retake the steps, would the old results show up in my report. I think they will always be there in your history. What would grantee if I retake the exams I will not fail again in some of them specially that I have been out of the clinic for long time

About praying for me.Thank you very much this was very very nice of you.

But I still do not know should I study for step 3 and CS or not
ur priority now is now to get a 9am to 6 pm job... in research... Then u can study 5 hours a day... and I think if u are motivated enuff.... U will see all of it thruuuuu.... I know research jobs... they expect 7 am to 10 pm ... at many places... so be a bit carefulll!!!
if u get good scores... University programs wudddd really like u... I know THAT happens... they need Physician Scientists with no immigration hassles... so Keep urself motivated... and Jus think of income... if u wish to look at it that way...
Say u do Peds.... ur annual income wud be... 140000 per annum... median .. when u sign ur contract... And if u are in a university center... U can write ur R21.. or any clinical Grant.. say in 2 years after pullin in a bsaic scientist collaboration.... That can add atleast 80000 $ perannum to ur remuneration .... so with ur grant u can have a post doctoral fellow and a grad student... and u divide ur time between clinic and lab... like say One PI who is MD with research... does clinics on Monday to Thursday... Thursday Afterneen till saturday evening he is behind research.... and He has 4 expensive cars and 2 mansions and property back home and money to burnnn... so research can fetch u good dollars at the same time... satisfaction of being a mentor,, and a physician... so look at the steps as ur oppurtunity to prove to the world... that ur medicala knowledge is at par.. If not .. U can make it at par... and basics in medicine are never obsolete.. u have to build up on thatt... WHy i am tellin this much is.... The system really needs physician scinetists to do very meaningful research....
piroxicam : economy is down and they are cutting grant and research money. even if it goes up....those big ones who have strong back can survive....mostly amgs who do research(citizens).
he is saying:
1- he was laid off
2- is tryin to get a job for 2 yrs, no luck
getting a voluntary job in research is not dat easy these days.....if u have a heavy profile, things may get harder coz they want free fresh student to do the job and save the money. i have looked around for 2 yrs...the same,....there are 100 of fmgs on waiting lists to do the job for free(for lor or else)...they dont bother to hire!! also, u got to have link to get a decent position(paid)! i know some programs bring/hire ther own buddies (even from overseas) and help them with gc and pay them(while they are not really qualified...)...but they are the ones who get the job+money+fame+residency and all !! LINK!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »