Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MEdical Assistant program - scorpio4match
I am considering about MA certificate program. It is less than a yr. This program will allow me to do externships at doctors clinic and offfices. The program is expensive. My rationale for doing this program is that tha clinical experience will help me in getting residency and also after achieving the certificate I will be able to get paid clinical experience. this will again allow me to get clinical experience for residency. Everyone is encouraged to share his opinion here. Thank you.
There are also MA courses u can do within 6 months which u should start upon soon if u want access to clinics/hospitals quicker. Im not sure where but I know that NY has many of them. Start it now if ur seriously considering it.
I think I saw a thread a week or two ago regarding MA certification. This one guy applied for ARMA certification based on his foreign medical degree and paid sixty odd bucks and got certified after six weeks. He specifically mentioned not having done any course.

I think you might be able to skip the course all together...atleast thats what I understood from the thread.

I'll try to put a link here if I find it.

Plus also keep a look out on craigslist where people offer MA vacancies for FMGs from time to time. without the need for certification. especially in NY and LA
Here's the thread

http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=495676-2

take a look at the comments from fikerbaza 12..towards the end of the thread.
thnx riyyan and phoebius.
Through ARMA you can get tha MA registry with no classes to pay for, but if you arew thinking is going to help you with clinical experience, you are wrong I have been working in hospital ER for 5 years and I personally have learned a lot, but every time I apply for residency they say that this is not clinical experience at all, they refers to HANDS ON when they hire you as a doctor, no as medical assistant. I hope this help you. If you need to get a job for monetary resons this is a good start, but try to think in getting something better
@ hollymolly! what type of experience you are having at ER? How about working as an assistant in doctors office can give one the oppurtunity to be involved in habds on experience in taking HX, examination, counceling, dealing insurance issues, ECGs etc. Isn't it hands on exp? will it help?
u r kidding right
guys
i don't have working permit on my current visa
is it doable for me ? getting the certificate and find a job ?
@ paimg MA programs gives training for phelobotomy and ECG technique and as if someone has passed MBBs can do all the stuff I have mentioned if allowed. What do you say?

@ 14hashemi14, you cannot do work after getting just certificate. Some MA programs supports F-1 visa and then after completing course you can get OPt at which you can work for 1 yr.

@ hollymolly waiting for your response.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »