Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2011 match PSYCHIATRY applicants gather here - applicantguide
Thanks, Applicantguide I have a LOR from psychiatrist (private practice) and one LOR from Neurologist(Uni based) and I am working for third one.
Hi guys

I have a serious plan to for psychiatry for 2011. I'm in Canada now and have had observership with two psychiatrists , both are faculty members of psychiatry department at university of Calgary, I can get LoR from them but my question is that:

Does LoR from a Canadian Psychiatrist (let say University Professor) work for residency application in US?

My email address: rtadayon@ucalgary.ca

Reza
I am going to apply only to psych programs.

Here are my credentials
step 1-81, step 2-92, cs passed (all 1 st attempt), ecfmg certified, 1 yr observership exp (in an out pt clinic),
will start another out pt observership soon. So will have atleast 3 us lors.
Impossible to get any university/hospital/inpatient observership. I have tried , i live in texas Sad Going out of town for an observership/externship is hard since i am a mom.

2001 graduate Sad, do not need visa

i dont know what else to do- what are my chances
any ideas on how else to increase my chances for 2011 psych
@rezrez
any LOR from any country works, Canadian LORs are more appreciated than other international ones, Although US LORs are the best. In 2010 match many people matched with no US LORs. Apply with whatever LORs you have.

@mlemom
Your CV is excellent for psychiatry, apply widely to as much programs you can afford on Sept 1st. You don't have to do anything else. Try to make benifit from the img friendly psychiatry residency programs list on my blogspot.

Goodluck
AG
@rezrez
any LOR from any country works, Canadian LORs are more appreciated than other international ones, Although US LORs are the best. In 2010 match many people matched with no US LORs. Apply with whatever LORs you have.

@mlemom
Your CV is excellent for psychiatry, apply widely to as much programs you can afford on Sept 1st. You don't have to do anything else. Try to make benifit from the img friendly psychiatry residency programs list on my blogspot.

Goodluck
AG
Hi applicantguide,
I am also going to apply this yr.ste1 is 81,step 2 77,step2cs passed,step 3 77[all passed in first attempts]no visa requires.
6 months externship experiance in neurolgy[in private clinic]
9 month observership in Psy in private clinic
4 yrs experiance in back home in Psy
graduation date 1998
plz let me know how can I increases my chances for this coming match.my scores r very bad so what should I need to do to more.
thanks alot
Hi hamzakhan
you need to pray and pray. Apply to every single program you can afford especially those in my friendly list. If you have contacts (residents...) try to involve them in helping you.

Goodluck
AG
Thanks for ur reply.I need ur honest advise.what r my chances to get Psy residency b/c I dont have any contacts here and I am thinking if i will apply can I get any interview .plz let me know?b/c otherwise i will not apply.
Although your graduation date is not favourable, but your no need for visa as well as long experience in psychiatry can cover the graduation date. scores are not that essential for psychiatry, they are concerned more with commitmint and I think you are safe in this regards. I had many people similar to your situation matched in 2010. You need to apply to all the programs you can afford and ON SEPT 1st week. Don't worry about chances, I think luck plays a big role beside praying.
Applicantguide can you tell me does volunteering in pscychiatry ward in residency program helps ?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »