Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
failed step 2CS on CIS - weil_y
I've failed step 2 CS on CIS in LA and scored very high on the rest of the qeustions. I am a well-expreienced physician in my home country and there is a fellowship program waiting for me in NY. I've registered again (by the way scores 97 on step I and 99 on step IICK). Do I have to do it elsewhere? any suggestions how to practive (in fact i didn't study too much....)?
What materials did you study? Where do you think you failed at? How was your english proficiency scores?
Hey weil_y,where and when did u take ur test?sorry to hear the sad news.
Well I've studied from Kaplan and first Aid. My SEP was on the high side as well as the patient note. I took the exam on June 4th
well, that is strange that you failed CIS because kaplan is suppose to teach you how to communicate with patients well. You may take a look at UW course. They teach you at some level how to communicate with SP.

Did you introduce yourself even if the SP started to tell you his complains b4 you did that.
Did you telll pts what you wanted to do b4 every PE maneuvers?
Did you answer SP's every and each questions?
Did you look at the SPs right in their eyes and show your sensitivity to their concerns?
Did you assure them you were going to be careful and thorough?
Did you give them your phone # so that they can call you at any time if they have any Q?
Did you shake hands with them and said "take care, it is very nice to meet you?"

etc, etc

Well I guess I have to improve in these since I've forgotten every now and then some of these items - I guess I have to practice with someone and get comfortable with the SP's. I'll guess practice, practice and practice will do it. I think the main problem is the cultural differences between the States and my home country. Just have to get used to it..... Thanks for your advice.
Sorry to hear that weil_y . i have been in that situation , my scores are 99 and 93 .
And i lost on cis too. But looking back i dont know where exactly my problem was . i have gone through the books (osce , kaplan, first aid, etc ) . But as you said , got to practise again.
i am from india . Can i know where are you from? May be we can prepare together.?
yes, i am from india. but i can practice with you. thanks.
Weil_y , when do you plan to give it again?
freeindia............ i am from bangalore. where are you from ?
freetibet - I am situated 4000 kms or so western than you - I am from Israel. I guess the cultural differences between us and the Americans caused that - I've spoken to some doctors who worked there how to behave with patients- These are the things that are not written in any books. I now see that there where these little details ignored by me - for example shaking their hands at the end of the encounter or giving them the phone number and using more open ended questions. Its all a show, and Americans are strong in the show business.... However I must repeat the test again soon becuase right now my fellowship is delayed.
Good luck
weil_y
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »