Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rx fo hydatid cyst?? - ninila
THANKS FOR YOUR HELPWITH MY SILLY QUESTIONS!

IN THE US WHAT IS THE TREATMENT OF CHOICE FOR HYDATID CYST OF THE LIVER??

THANKS AND GOOD LUCK
In the US we dont get Hydatid cyst. Thanks to Mc Donalds, we only get Atherosclerosis! Smile
THANKS FOR MAKING ME LAUGH..I NEEDED THAT!!! Smile

BUT IF A GUY FROM MEXICO COMES TO THE US AND HE SHOWS UP ON MY STEP TWO EXAM HOW SHOULD I TREAT HIM???

THANKS
Most probabely before you get to see him, he is rejected as a patient by your secretery because he has no insurance! Smile
Well, looks like no one is helping you. OK, fine...according to uw tx is surgical resection under the cover of albendazole. Wink
i will go for surgical treatment or marsupiliaization
asekar you're still young, hold off on that surgery and you will be fine ! Smile
Hi ninila try this link http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1046.h...medication

In the US: Despite the rise in occurrence, echinococcosis remains a very rare disease (<1 case per 1 million inhabitants) in the continental United States. Northern Alaska has endemic areas of E granulosus, but the frequency of infection remains low (<1 case per 100,000 inhabitants).
Internationally: Echinococcosis is also unusual in northern Europe. The endemic areas are the Mediterranean countries, the Middle East, the southern part of South America, Iceland, Australia, New Zealand, and southern parts of Africa; the latter 5 are intensive endemic areas. The incidence of CE in endemic areas ranges from 1-220 cases per 100,000 inhabitants, while the incidence of AE ranges from 0.03-1.2 cases per 100,000 inhabitants, making it a much more rare form of echinococcosis. Infestation with E vogeli is the most rare form of echinococcosis and is reported mainly in the southern parts of South America.
Mortality/Morbidity:

Morbidity is usually secondary to free rupture of the echinococcal cyst (with or without anaphylaxis), infection of the cyst, or dysfunction of affected organs. Examples of dysfunction of affected organs are biliary obstruction, cirrhosis, bronchial obstruction, renal outflow obstruction, increased intracranial pressure secondary to mass, and hydrocephalus secondary to cerebrospinal fluid outflow obstruction.
In CE, mortality is secondary to anaphylaxis, systemic complications of the cysts (eg, sepsis, cirrhosis, respiratory failure), or operative complications.
In clinical cases of AE, the mortality rate is 50-60%. This figure reaches 100% for untreated or poorly treated AE. Sudden death has been reported with AE in asymptomatic patients (autopsy diagnosis).
Medical management differs for CE and AE. In CE, surgery remains the primary treatment and the only hope for complete cure. Better forms of chemotherapy and newer methods, such as the puncture, aspiration, injection, and reaspiration (PAIR) technique are now available but need to be tested. Currently, indications for these modes of therapy are restricted. In AE, radical surgical excision is coupled with chemotherapy in operable cases and long-term aggressive chemotherapy for partially resected or unresectable lesions. In CE, consider risks and benefits, indications, and contraindications for each case before making a decision regarding the type and timing of surgery.

Drug therapy for echinococcosis is limited. The anthelmintic benzimidazoles, namely albendazole and mebendazole, are used for treatment and prophylaxis. Praziquantel, an isoquinoline derivative, is used as an adjunct for therapy.
Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: It is both diagnostic and therapeutic in patients with intrabiliary rupture of a hydatid cyst, in whom sphincterotomy can be performed.

Hope it will help you
Good Luck
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »