Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ethics 3 - acyclovir99
18. A mother and a 14 year old son have been badly injured in a road traffic accident and they both need surgery. The father says that if a blood transfusion is required for either of them during the surgery, they should not do it as it is against their religious beliefs. what shd be the course of action?

a. if a blood tranfusion is reqired during surgery go ahead with it as the wife and son may not share the same religious beliefs

b. even if a blood tranfusion is reqired during surgery dont do it

c. during surgery of the wife if blood transfusion is needed dont do it while for the child, obtain a court order

d. tell father that you will not perform the surgery if he behaves so irrationally
aaaaaaaaa
cc
c?
yup.. its c...
C is correct.

how can father tell you about mother's religious beliefs? shouldn't we hear for ourselves or see an indication of her beliefs by her? what if the mother is actually totally against this religion and the father says she should not be saved? i still think that when you did not know the pt at all, you have to save the life and then ask abt beliefs.
are u sure the ans is right?
i recall in UW there is a similar question about a jevoh witness and the feedback i got was that in an emergency situation you give regardless. unless u have legal documentation etc.. u can't take spouses words.

about the child.. i agree. but about the mother. i dont know if this is right.
As far as I'm concerned, you don't need a court order to transfuse a minor, they are protected by law, and if you don't treat this minor as it is, then you will have a veeerrryy big liability on your back.
even i think it shd b A....
as its an emergency.. u cant wait for a court order... n u dn knw wife's beliefs.. so best is to proceed wth transfusion if required in both cases...
correct me frends if m wrong..
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »