Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
personal statement question - rose0001
It is time to write the personal statement for Match 2011.

I have some questions about it. Should I include the following difficult time I have experienced to emphysis my personal strenth?

1. Hard life in Childhood

2. Experienced parents' death as a physican

3. Independant woman to survive in US--- Have to work to pay pills and keep the stable job for the "GC". ( not approve yet.)

4. Multiple attempts on the test, but finally got certifacation.

My contact email: csyxrose

Thank you to read and answer the question.

Make sure you don't tell a pathetic story but you tell an inspiring one. I am afraid you are heading to the wrong direction.

I suggest you get help. Hire a good PS editor. Check with www.img-coach.com

Dr. Belibi
At IMGPrep, we suggest that you pick a "theme" for your statement ...and that you then stick with it. If you'd like to focus on overcoming adversity in your quest to becoming a physician, you may, but we'd recommend that you stick with a more positive theme. Instead of focusing on what you've overcome, why not focus on what you ARE? What qualities do you have that make you a good physician? Discuss these at length; elaborate on them! Provide vivid examples and tell stories that will convince the reader that you'll make an asset to their program.

As far as the specific points you've raised: discuss those difficulties that have directly affected your philosophy and goals as a physician.

Your difficult childhood: discuss this only if it's affected your outlook or career goals. Have you decided to become a pediatrician and service underprivileged communities? Do you want to shower your patients with the care you never received? Definitely discuss it! But if you just want to relate the challenges you've faced, skip it.

Your parents' death: This event has clearly had a great impact upon your personal life, but again, unless it's clearly affected your professional self, we wouldn't focus on it.

Surviving in the US: Don't discuss this. This process is definitely tough, and stressful, and forums like this one are a great place to vent about it. But what will sharing your struggles add to your application? Why will they convince program directors that you'd make a good resident?

Multiple attempts: Program directors already know that you've had multiple attempts. If they won't consider an applicant with multiple attempts, they certainly won't read your PS. Think about it this way: you have a limited amount of space in your PS. Why would you use up that space discussing your failures, when you could just as soon be talking about your strengths?

In short: Think about yourself. What makes you unique? What makes a good physician? What unusual qualities or abilities do you have, and how have they manifested themselves in your practice?

Use your PS to discuss these strengths --not your background or your struggles --focus on your strengths. You've made it through a lot --a difficult childhood, a challenging immigration, med school --and you couldn't have done that without talent. Focus on the positive, and show your reader what you have to offer them!

Best of luck,
The IMGPrep Team
Rose here is what i would do..

1. Hard life in Childhood - how it helped me to mature quickly

2. Experienced parents' death as a physican- made hard desicions

3. Independant woman to survive in US--- Have to work to pay pills and keep the stable job for the "GC". ( not approve yet.) - worked hard to persue my dreams of US residency training

4. Multiple attempts on the test, but finally got certifacation.- despite difficulties i made my own way and achieved what i dreamed off..

Make an interesting story and the lessons u learnt from ur difficulties.
Good Luck,
Imagination!
Rose,

The question you asked is a great one, and it's one that lots of IMGs grapple with. To help other people benefit from your question, we've posted it (an edited version) on our blog, along with a more in-depth response. We hope that by showcasing the issues you raised, we will be able to help more IMGs learn how to appropriately focus their PSs and impress program directors.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask us!

Check out your question and our answer on our blog at https://www.imgprep.com/blog/mailbag-dis...ulties-ps/

As always, feel free to browse our blog's entries for lots of helpful tips and solid advice; you can also always email us to ask questions or suggest topics for posts. IMGs have a rough road to travel, and at IMGPrep, we try to do whatever we can to make that journey a little smoother.

Good luck!
The IMGPrep Team
Hi Rose,

A very good question indeed...but the answer is not hard. Put yourself in the seat of the Program Director and try to draft your letter. Every one (IMG or AMG) has had some form of difficulties in life, some more than others. But it is surely not a good idea to mention every incident that has happened in your life. Focus on one or two major incidents which you genuinely feel affected your professional choices and mention that. Be subtle, at the same time use these negative incidents to show the reader that you were capable of overcoming them...never give a hint of negative personality anywhere in the letter.

Program Directors want to see how you overcame your difficulties in life and how confident and able you are as a candidate for their program. They really are not interested in knowing all the negative incidents which happens in our lives. So, I repeat, Focus on one major life turning event which might have derailed you in your career path and mention how you overcame that with all your might and zeal...that will be a good addition in your statement and will make your statement look apart from thousands others.

Remember, your personal statement is your "personal" voice. You can write about anything and still make it interesting. There are no set rules or regulations for a personal statement...its how much you can make your reader understand your personality in the little space you are provided to express yourselves.

You won't believe me if I tell you that Program Directors can understand the tone of the letter just by reading the first paragraph of the statement...so decide what you would want to write in the first few sentences and attract your reader into following through...set the tone, make it interesting and connect your paragraphs...

For your individual questions, I do think Imgprep has given you a sufficiently honest reply..but then again, write down everything and hack it down again and again until you are satisfied. The only best thing you can do is to sit down in front of your computer and start smashing the keyboard and write out your thoughts...u can then shrink it to what is essential, rinse and repeat it until you get the final product.

Gud Luck...I hope this answer helps you and a lot of other applicants who have similar concerns.

If you need help, you can contact me at carl.smith30

I had been dealing with such questions since two years and I am pretty confident that I am in a better situation to help you all with your personal statement related questions...so, do not hesitate to mail me...

I had some similar questions in my mind and looks like I got the answer.thanks for clearing it up, but it still looks like a big job.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »