Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Family Medicine Vs Pediatrics residency - tulip1208
Hey Guys!!

I was trying to decide upon a second choice after Internal Medicine(which is my first choice of course) for the purpose of applying into match.

Please tell me how do you rate FM vs Pediatrics in regards to professional growth, salary in future, opportunity for further specialization or any other criteria that you may think of.

I think many of us have either of these as the specialty in their minds to apply for in addition to IM programs. So, lets get together to discuss these a bit.

Thanks.
your best choice must be the one in which you are interested in....

personally i believe a safe choice will be FM when compared to PEDS ..

Again it all depends on your scores and your interest
Me too with same delimma tulip1208 ...need more inputs regarding this matter.
Here is a 2009 Physician Compensation Survey, by the American Medical Group Association (AMGA)

Please read this link, it will give you an idea of salaries and future prospects.

http://www.cejkasearch.com/compensation/...survey.htm

Professional growth and success depends on what you create for yourself.

regards
residency-match.com
Thanks guys for the input....
But, we need more inputs on this topic!!
Contemplating on my options....kind of confused on backup plan.
Any feedback on these two specialties? If I go into Peds I can def see myself working in nicu or picu!
However, FP I can treat the entire family compared to Peds where I'm dealing with kids only.
Any input? Any of you in same situation. At this point I feel like I can into any specialty in medicine and be very happy. Just confused on choosing the perfect field in terms of career growth/salary/etc.
FP you do not go into depth, just touch on everything. With peds you are at least focused on something. Both are decent in terms of salary, def on the low side relative to others.
For FP, try and get into an unopposed program other wise you will always be battling with other specialities to get 'prime time' cases.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »