Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
all rejections post here..keep post alive - vicodin
Good thread, thanks keep it up
it is really helpful, I haven't applied yet
@mariano Big shot programs will not take IMGs. Remember this: Almost ALL programs will post information on their website for IMGs because it is the hospital policy and also no program wants to appear to be discriminating! This is the USA and that is a big no no.

Programs can filter applications based on AMG or IMG status. So even though you apply to big programs, they may never even see your application. Downloaded does not mean anything at all since it is done automatically and then the program's filters kick in.

I wasted my money last year by simply looking at score criteria and buying the program list from some company. It is just a waste. My friend who is in residency asked the PC who said that usually the score criteria they have on their site is for AMGs. They set their own filters for IMGs based on many criteria including visa.

This year, I called and asked for IMG criteria and many programs had totally different criteria to what they said on their website! And I checked current resident list for each program I applied and did not even bother with those that have no IMGs at all in any year. They will never take IMGs and I know that almost all the top programs like Hopkins (main one), Yale (main one), Harvard, UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, Columbia, Brown, etc do not take IMGs at all. The occasional one that can get into Harvard is due to exceptional research work with lot of publications, highly recommended by well known faculty, MD/PhD, etc Even contacts will only work in such programs only if you have that exceptional qualifications.

I think I saved my money this year and put it to good use by applying to programs where I would have a shot due to IMG status.

-----keep post going----
@ cafe i totally agree with you , save your money instead of applying 100 apply 50 and to those who have a history of taking img's
I called a few programs this morning just to double check, because sometimes they say very clearly in their website: "we prefer" wich in my understanding means exaclty that: "they prefer", but it is not a requirement; well it turns out that 5 of 6 programs I called told me: "It's a requierement not a preference" eventhough it was stated like that in the website... double check if you can, so you don't waste your money
Yale University rejection IM......reason IMG!
.....................up..................
imgxy, Central Maine wants USCE and not "residency experience"...they want 1 year, maybe his USCE was less than one year in his CV....I applied there too and haven't heard from them.....will let you know what happens....

Even for derm or ortho, they don't ask for residency training experience.....that's for advanced programs....
University of South AL, Dept. of Ob/Gyn
Obstetrics and Gynecology residencies are competitive, and like most programs, we have more applicants than we are able to accommodate for interviews for the four PGY I positions.
Siouxland Medical Education Foundation
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »