Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ABIM (physician-scientist pathway) gather here - ferritin
@bazigar,
your research credentials are excellent. I think you have a good chance, and I would certainly recommend to you to apply to more. As I said US is really short of physician-scientists.
Also, r u persian?
No I am indian
good luck to you my friend
Hi Ferritin,

At last I have found a discussion thread regarding ABIM research pathway. Thank you very much for starting this. I really appreciate your achievements so far and wish you luck for your physician-scientist residency.I am an IMG (2003 grad) and currently finishing my PhD at a reputed US university.Have completed step 1 (95), preparing for step 2CK and CS.Will be applying for 2012 match.

I need your help regarding that and also from all who are more inclined towards this pathway.Can you help me about letting me know the general scenarios towards IMGs for this track and also how they look at the old applicants with scores like mine with a PhD degree?I already have and also intend to publish more in i quick times. Your help will be highly appreciated.

I think, specially in this track, you need to know peoples where you are applying. Good luck, all for this years match.
Hi Ferritin,

This is very interesting thread.
I have not applied to any program in physician-scientist pathway.
I need your suggestion on this topic.
Can I apply now, or I am too late to apply.

My credentials are:
USMLE: in 80s in step 1/2/3 (with one attempt in step 3)
Oncology research: around 6 months
Psychiatry research: around 6 months
Oncology published articles: 4
Oncology poster presentation: 4
Psychiatry accepted articles: 3
Psychiatry submitted articles: 2
Psychiatry poster presentation: 2
Observership in medicine: 1 month
Observership in psychiatry: 4 month
Visa requiring
Graduation year: 2008

I will be very thankful for your advice.
Good Luck.
I've applied to >20 ABIM/ PSTP programs. Have so far been invited to interview at WashU and Vanderbilt specifically for the research track. Also invited to interview at UTSW, U Mass Worcester, UIC where I will be meeting PSTP people. Hoping for more PSTP interviews.
Scores 99/99/pass all 1st attempt.
PhD, 2 high impact publications, many posters/ talks. Have spoken to Ivy league PSTP PDs who say its the quality not the quantity of pubs that count.
I have applied to psp programs.
but no IV/rej as yet.
old grad
scores - low 80s
Have MS in Biomedical sciences from US.
PhD from a top 10 institution in US.
1 paper, 7 abstracts.
1 National grant award.
several externships and observerships.
All US recos specifically for PSP.

@subuny
sorry had not seen ur post earlier, I have said this before, there is a very serious shortage of MD-scientists for obvious reasons. Publications both in terms of quantity and quality are important. Also, it is really important that you let them know in advance what subspeciality you want. Cardiology and GI are really difficult but the rest are less competitive. Your step 1 score is great, try to get a smiliar score in CK and if you also do step3 before application it will just make your CV more competitive. Also, getting your PhD before applying is another + in your CV. try to go as many confrences as you can try to socialize with big shots. After all contacts do matter, BIG TIME
good luck and I hope I have ansered all your questions
Thanks Ferritin for your guidance, I was eagerly waiting for that. If you don't mind can I have your email id? Mine is drsubu1. I want to keep in touch with you, ofcourse if you don't mind. Thanks and good luck to you for this years match.
PSDP from UChicago?? Have anyone been invited??
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »