Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ABIM (physician-scientist pathway) gather here - ferritin
I agree that being an IMG is not helpful, but lots of AMG do not want to commit to such a long program which pays close to nothing, and as I mentioned before I attended several seminars and conferences about the huge problem of not having enough physician scientists in US. What I think has happened is that most of these programs are more about contacts and recommendations from big shots and also they mainly take their own graduates
@ ferritin
i applied to many ABIM tracks - zip IV
How many years is the PSTP ? is it 3 years like IM categorical ?
I am wondering how many total positions in whole US? How many programs?
as example: psy/im -- only 10-12 programs and only 20 positions. they always prefer AMGs.
If there are 100 (actually more than that) med school in US (2/per state, suppose), and 1-2 MD/PhD for every yr grad, i am assuming they have enough student scientist to fill up all positions.
But that's my thought and i ma guessing. I might be wrong.
@gegamushroom
you have to know to which speciality you want befor u apply. and then depending on that it will be 6-7 yeras, basically its 1 extra year
@meti
you are right I think and that what I believe has been happening they are either just calling people based on connections or own graduates. I have been such a fool to believe in these big shots,all giving me false hope and making me apply to mainly ABIM programs
I'm sorry to hear that some of you have not heard anything from ABIM programs. However, I don't think its contacts or nepotism that is the issue. I was invited to interview by several ABIM programs despite having no contacts at the program and having done my PhD (as well as medicine) in a foreign country, and have been made to feel very welcome during interviews.
On the other hand, I many programs fund their PSTPs with NIH training grants - which can only be used for US citizens or permanent residents - so, like fellowship applications, this can limit options for IMGs requiring visas.
@ kg245, did you have a green card, also what were your credentials?
@gumbo - I have a green card. 99/99/1st. 2010 yog. Strong med school record. MD/PhD program equivalent. 2 pubs. Many posters/ talks. 1.5 months USCE.
ok trap trap trap...... most ABIM programs are going to slowly open up for IMGs... becos AMGs are not gonna fall in to that!

I got IVs from 2 programs... and was asked about interest in it..most of these programs are structured in a way... like 2 years of Residency.. and 3 years of research.. YOU become Borad eligible fatre 3 years of research ONLY.. you cannot give the borads after 2 years.. THEN they will help you to match into fellowship of your prefernce depending also on what ypour research is.. the fellowship also may be 2 -3 years dpending on where you are...!!!!

This idea failed miserably with AMGs... because all of em have debts.. and this meant 7 to 8 more years.. instead of 6... so now they are going to IMgs... I am a PhD (will be in 6 monthsish) 99/99/GC/ 1 paper/tons of research and posters and orals/.... But I thoght very seriously about this... They expect u to get grant funding by the end of fellowship ... If you later decide to go into private practice .. if u dont get grant money.. The Pds and profs may NOT give you letters etc... also only 2 years of felowwship training is looked down upon in practice settings. So you are stuck with low paying academia... So think well now itself.. You u say yes to research track.. I dont think you can switch after a while..!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »