Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm an old 1988 graduate, should I go for USMLE? - eagle2020
I graduated in 1988. Should I go for USMLE? I want to. Do programs in USA give residency to old graduates? I've heard they go for young doctors only and deny residency to old graduates even if they score 99 in all the Steps of USMLE. Is it true?
yes ofcourse u can do it, i knwo many here in US who are like in 40's. go ahead. theres nothign like giving only to young guys. you have a full chance
eagle2020,
I am applying for residency in upcoming match. Most hospitals in NY, NJ, PA, OH, IL, MD wants MD's 5 years since graduation, few 10 years, and very little without time restriction. You will always find a hospital without time limit but not many so your choice won't be even with youngers. It depends on your motivation and expectations. Good luck!
So my choices are limited but it is still not impossible.
I want some more people to advise me.
I have a green card, do you think this will boost my chances after still being an old 1988 graduate?
Yes you can do it. I know of a lady in Tenn who graduated from medical school at age 65. She did her residency up there & is now a VA doc. So it can be done & there are places for you & me. I too am an old timer. The step 1 will be difficult for you. I have failed it twice, but will make it this time.

Good luck.
eagle 2020,
Do not be discouraged by your year of graduation or your age. It is immaterial in some programs. I know of 1986, 1987 and 1988 graduates who got residencies this year. Many of them in NY and others in PA (Poconos). US is structured in a way that you always have options. Research all the programs and go for those programs that like IMGs and those who do not have limits as to age or year of graduation. I graduated in 1987 and one of my classmates that we interact together got a residency program in NY. She graduated from same college with me. I also have an Indian friend who got into residency last year at the age of 56 years. He graduated in 1981. So do not listen to voice of discouragement. And as a green card holder, you definitely have an advantage over those who do not. I will strongly encourage you to also go for Step 3 because this will further enhance your chances but you can still get the residency of your choice without Step 3. I will apply to specialties without much competition such as Pathology, Psychiatry, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, Family Medicine. Sooner you will become a citizen and your chances becomes much better notwithstanding your age and year of graduation. So your chances of getting residency is as good as that of anybody. Good luck in your quest for self-actualization.
Thanks to kingaloba, eu_phoria and texmex.

I wonder how nice and sincere people are at USMLE forum. Even my classfellows who I know from childhood making millions in USA as doctors are not that sincere and have always discouraged and misguided me so that I may not succeed in the medical career in USA. Your kind words have given me a new life. May God help you in your medical career. This forum is a real blessing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »