Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Physiology questions, please advice -
matoka

To cue, docepy, usmle1, student in miami and all the friends who've joined this forum :
What is the best physiology book for step 1 ? I have only BRS and NMS. Which should I choose ? What about graphs ? The NMS book which a very comprehensive and exhaustive book contains lots of graphs but the bad news is that it contains over 800 pages and I will never finish it.
What is your wise advice in order to know physiology properly ?
As a matter of fact ,when I took my exam two months ago and failed by sis points ( 176 ) I encountered plenty of physiology and pathophysiology questions which dominated my test. I did not have an excess of graphs. I had a pretty balanced test which covered all the disciplines but the physiology and pathophysiology dominated my exam by far and were ones of my weakest areas.
Looking forward to receiving your friendly and wisely advice.
My best wishes to all of you.
matoka
cue

I like kaplan notes to be the best source, but brs is very good too. If you are choosing from brs and nms, then go with brs. As you said nms is way too detailed. Use it only as a reference for the unclear/unexplanied parts in brs. brs, although not very descriptive, but it does cover the scope of the exam.
Best of luck
student in miami

Cue is right
Between BRS and NMS choose BRS.
Now try to take advantage of the graphs that nms has specially the cardiovascular chapter.
The rest just stick with BRS, is good and enough.
Good luck
student in miami

by the way
if your weakest area are pathology and pathophysiology I will recommend you to listen Goljan audios...Its really a must.
matoka

Hello everybody,
Thanks a lot for your piece of advice.
I agree with you cue, but I do not have kaplan lectures. In exchange , I have kaplan homestudy, organized by organ systems as you know.What do you think about these kaplan books, the homestudy series ?
You're quite right, student in miami, I must listen to Goljan 's CD. Does it contain pathophysiology as well or only pathology ?! I'm waiting for my Cd to show up this week, I ordered it a few days ago from ebay.
Thank you again for your adive.
matoka
student in miami

makota
the good thing about goljan audios is the integration of all subjects, so its not only patho but physio, biochemistry, pathophysiology all in one...
About the kaplan homestudy...i dont know. i have the one that gave you when you take live lectures the seven books.
But kaplan is kaplan and the books are excellent.
If you feel more confident using those books go ahead and dont loose time...It all depends with what kind of book you feel more comfortable with.
matoka

Student in miami,
thank you so much for replying to me so fast. It's great to find out that Goljan's CD is an integration of all the disciplines, all the topics as a whole in five day live lectures !
My defect is that I did not read enough last time when I took the exam, I relied mostly on questions which is a terrible mistake.
In my first seven weeks I'm going to do questions only at the end of each discipline. What do you think about Goljan's questions the book with 350 questions with the CD ?
All the best.
matoka
student in miami

matoka
I have that book and the CD...and I like it very much...
Some people consider it easier than qbank which is true, but as many people said.. "THe more questions you do the best"...so try to do it all..
My husband did the same mistake as you, he didnt study enough for the exam and he did just questions after attending live lectures in kaplan which he still regreted it. Luckily he passed the exam with 84 but he could had get more than that...Im trying not to do the same mistake.
Best of all in your preparation matoka..you have the right tools just use it the right way.
good luck
pd: right now im on my break..thats why i answered you so fast..jejeje
cue

Hi guys,
good thoughts are being circulated here.
Now as far as kaplan home study course, it's not the same as the current live lecture notes. They are the old kaplan notes before kaplan merged with nmsr and compass. Now, kaplan is marketing those old notes as home study notes. BRS is superior to the kaplan home study phys notes. The live lecture notes, however are different story.
matoka

To cue and student in miami,
Thank you guys for answering my questions so fast. I have so many questions regarding my situation and preparation on step 1 exam that I really do not know what order of priorities I ought to use. I know that everybody has a very busy time with these exams so that I have no idea how to start asking for your friendly advice.
I may try to resume my message and post it today.
All the best, matoka
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »