Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upmc - shahare
I have nothing against the program, but it is not what it seems.
@ Shahare, Wrongturn - Did you get to interview in the division you had mentioned to them?? Has that to be the division I am doin research?? Plzzz clarify this.
I din't apply there after talking to a friend of mine. But usually it is the division that you want to do fellowship in. Doesn't have to be the division that you have been doing research in.

Thank u Smile
@ all: i did interview at UPM i sincerely felt there is a bit of discrimination amngst IMG and AMG..ISP residents do 3 extra mnths at shadyside nt just heme/onc bt also 2 mnths of floor and 1 mnth ICU...regarding fellowship placements..despite being a research track 1 ISP resident didnt get cards fellowship 2 yrs back and other wise too the felloship placements are nt tht gr8...and u always have the tag of an ISP resident when u apply fr fellwoships..
@wrngturn: i totally agree wid u on their ISP residents tryin to sell the program and other facts that u mentioned..
@ shahare:

When you were interviewed at UPMC?
One of my friend had an interview there. He is a 2008 graduate, 250+ in both step 1 & CK and cleared CS in first attempt. He passed step 3 also. He has been doing research at an IVY league institution and has 4 papers either accepted or submitted (he is the first author on a couple of them). He told me that the program was really good and he will not hesitate the PGY-1 position if offered.
do they not consider any IMGs for the non-ISP categorical spots?
@shahare

Don't get confused with the actual UPMC and affiliates. The top 14th you are talking about is the main UPMC that does not take IMGs into their program.

The ISP is for IMGs only so no surprises that there will only be IMGs in the pathway! But usually those spots go to exceptional IMGs and that does not mean 280/280 scorers either! For those spots scores along with quality research, etc matters lot.

UPMC affiliates like Montefiore, Shadyside take top IMGs but they are NOT the main UPMC. It is the main UPMC in Pittsburgh that is ranked as top 14, NOT its affiliates.

Hope this helps clear your doubts about that program. If you have top scores and good quality research or MD/PhD from reputable medical schools, you should apply for ISP at the main UPMC and categorical in its affiliates.

GL

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »