Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upmc - shahare
hi guys, i applied to ISP UPMC Because i have publications. So you are saying its not that good?

would i be considered a UPMC graduate?
@doctormed

I am from India. applied on sep. 1. they started calling very early last year (after the labor day long weekend). thats what i heard from people.

@elmeromero

congrats on your pubs! It depends on what you want to specialize after your residency. People from isp don't go to big places for cards unlike other specialties. again its a good program if your other iv calls are not great.
which is better Henry Ford Program or ISP for example?
And i want to specialize in GI .. culd you give me advice regarding GI after ISP?
I still dont get whether ISP training is the same as UPMC categorical. I compared both schedules, the only difference is 2 months in PGY 2 and PGY3 each, for research. thats all the difference.
hey calm down...this post's date goes back to 2010!!!!! dats an OLD post!!!! and yes, of course cat programs are far better than another track which is like a post doc or a certificate stuff...i mean u can get such training easily anywhere....many other programs offer such training, not a big deal. well, who cares since it is an old post!gl
is UPMC international scholar program ACGME accredited?
@john

FYI: UPMC ISP is not a post doc or certificate prog. Its a 3 year im cat. focused on research/academics. they don't participate in NRMP match. You get board certified and also get the additional research training. People go on to do specialization just like any other cat. program

@elmeromero

i wish i can give you more info about gi prospects and comparison with other programs. People have gone to good places in GI as seen in their site and offcourse it is ACGME program!
ok, let me make it clear....yes, u can get the same training in research in many other univ and even community programs....like TX,DC, univ of wisonsin and many more programs...they have the same training for free for all residents/fellows who want to do research. specially for fellows it is all free and they get the same credit and degree at the end...they must spend more time though, means it is not like an IM residency which is 3 yrs...it takes from 1-2 more yrs...it depends....again, i am not sure abt the residents...some program favor residents who want ..means they offer such tracks for their favored residents and not everyone.....nor anyone wants to do such thing and since they can grad earlier and start working and making good money $$$..while research is not well paid these days,,,doesnt have even the respect it had before....goverment is cutting research/grant money which makes it even more competetive to obtain such money/funding for a research project....and it hinders u to start practcing which can help ur to start ur busness earlier and just make money or to practice and do wht u really love and want to do from the beginning and u can pay for ur bills! i mean it is not only for UPMC! there are other programs who offer the same thing while doing residency! gl
what you said is right for ABIM Research track which is present in many universities and is ~5 years.

UPMC ISP is 3 years (just extra research time instead of electives), no extra training. 5-6 spots, only IMGs (stellar researchers with a ~PhD). The ABIM track which most programs have is VERY competitive and i have never heard an IMG getting into ABIM without a PhD.

UPMC has all 3 tracks - main cat., ABIM (1-2 spot) these 2 have no IMGs. third is ISP which is exclusive for IMGs.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »