Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discrimination? - drmaxb
We often convince ourselves that, as IMGs, we are being discriminated against and perhaps we have a reason for feeling that way. It is extremely difficult to get in top quality programs and often we feel mocked and set aside for various reasons. In reality, we need to understand that we feel this way because we are too used to getting things so easily in our own countries (maybe I am wrong)... I speak of my own experience. I felt that my medical school application back home was very, very easy and really not competitive at all.... I got into Medical School straight out of highschool and I didn;t have to do much research or go through a strenous application process... I didn't even spend any money applying. I just went to the university of my choice, took an admission test and I was in.

For an american graduate, the competition process begins right after highschool (and perhaps even before). Competing to get into top Colleges. Throughout their career, they strive to outperform their peers to earn recognition and membership in school societies. They take many electives and seek to excell in all classes. After obtaining a Bachelor/ Major /Minor, several research publications, and passing the Medical College Admission Tests (MCATs), the process starts all over again as they once again begin to compete for Medical Schools. Most of the time, they do this with Loans (unless their family can support them fully).... which obviously need to be repaid.

I am an IMG and I accept and respect the fact that AMGs are "preferred" over us in most programs, because they are more adapted to the selection process, since they have been dealing with it for much longer than we have. (in the same manner that a person who walks barefoot all the time develops callousness of their soles which allows them to withstand the roughness of the ground below, much better than a person who lives in the city and drives around and wears confortable shoes all the time...)

We should be proud and grateful that at least some of us make it into residency, proving that not all hope is lost. Lets stop whining and lets do what we have to do... let the best competitors win and best of luck to all! ...

Sincerely,
Max

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »