Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
********* IV/ Rej Thread ******** - dr@2011
Well-played to you. You are doing a good job of shooing away people from UPMC.

Btw, I hate programs which give prematches. If they are confident about their quality, why don't they go into match. All insecure programs give prematches. And this way they can grab good candidates. Look at ISP residents. They are fantabulous.
No actually I am not shooing them away. I really liked Pittsburgh when I went there. Great city and great program. But as i discussed with people I realized that its not that great as the reputation suggests. Maybe the PD of the ISP program isnt that famous. And i also talked to a few people who refused pre-matches from that program in recent years.
My friend told me that the residents were literally selling the program + the morning report was boring- no one seemed interested. The CR had to pick on people for answers. Also, the PD was not interested. Seemed like he already knew who he wanted in the program.
PD for ISP was pretty cold person. Residents were nice. Regarding Morning Report, the residents had to think hard about even the Light's Criteria (to d/f b/w exudate and transudative process). I expected higher levels from the categorical residents who were there.
No ISP residents for morning report- right?
You are making me happy for not having applied there.
They were 1 or 2. But the categorical ones seemed less read.
And are u sure that they send rejections to those not selected after the interview?
i thought the PD was very nice at the UPMC ISP program.
the morning was very benign and every resident (isp or not) tried to make a case for the isp program.

according to any resident isp is very highly regarded - no distinction is made between cat upmc/montefiore and isp residents. HOPE THAT IS TRUE. at least on this forum i read differently.

also i thought the fellowship placement is pretty decent (UCSF, hopkins, cleveland clinic, upmc....), maybe with the slight exception of cards. i asked pretty much everyone why nobody from the isp matched in cards at upmc and it seems to be in large parts a policy of the upmc cards PD. also people deliberately chose to go albert einstein and cedar sinai (latter actually has very strong cards program).

@frgdoc: You have to take into consideration the fact that most people in ISP have considerable research while coming in. So ALL should go to good programs which hasn't been the case. I would think Cards fellowship placement is the true test of a program's reputation. Gastro although competitive, most people I know have managed to get into good gastro fellowships even from mid-tier programs.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »