Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
♥♥♥ROL Experiences of Last Year: - cafe
It is important to consider different factors while ranking (if you are going for the match!). I made the mistake of ranking certain programs high last year, which did not have a history of taking too many IMG's and programs that had more preference for AMG's. I ended up not matching (I turned down prematch offers last year). I think I could still have matched if only I was careful about my ROL. Here is what I think based on my experiences and talking to people I know who matched:

IMHO, ranking needs to be well thought out based not just on your preference but on the response from the program after interviews (although this is hard to judge since they might send the same thank you letter to all interviewees!), your own evaluation of your interview performance (if you think you screwed up then safe to say that they might not rank you or may rank you lower), program match statistics, chances of IMG's matching in that program (I think one of the most important factor and can be judged by looking at number of IMG's in the program, medical schools of current AMG's i.e. if it has AMG's from like the top schools then it would be a clear indication that their program is hot among AMG's and so IMG's might almost always get ranked lower if ranked at all), and many other such factors.

These things will be crucial when it comes to your ROL. As an IMG we cannot just rely on number of interviews alone although that increases our chances of matching. We may really want to match into a top program that also is attractive to AMG's but usually they almost always get ranked higher than IMG's. This is also one factor to be considered while ranking.

I think almost all must know people with high scores and lot of interviews but end up not matching and people with 1 interview but matching. If you dig deep in most cases it would be ROL problem. If a program ranks you within the top 5, for example, and they have 10 spots then you will match with them for sure no matter where you rank them. But it is impossible to know or actually trust when a program tells you that they will rank you high (just like we tell them but may not rank them number 1Smile). This is why I think a number of factors have to be considered before you submit the ROL.

People with great interviews at top programs might not get ranked highly and they might not have ranked the more IMG friendly programs higher in their ROL and so eventually ended up losing both! I think it might not just necessarily be their "bad" interview skills but could be their ROL too.

Good luck to all of you but hope you do not have to go all the way to the match!Smile♥♥♥♥
wow that is great information
Thank you cafe!

It is greatly appreciated.
yeah the match is very risky, we feel all progs are ranking us high after getting thank you replies
please provide more input,

I believe,, lets say i have 12ivs and 4of them are university program and I mess up in interview and one community program, bad location and bad program I did well.

I came to know from resident that, u suppose to put uni program on top even u mess up with the, he also told me if yr 12 number hospital put u on high rank and if u do not match above 11 hospital even though u match at 12th position
@rinku418:

Sorry, some parts of your post are not clear. But I think you are asking whether you will match if your top 11 rank you lower but your number 12 will rank you among the top 5 candidates of the program's ROL?

If none of the programs from your top 11 rank you high enough for you to match there then you will match at your number 12 (presuming they ranked you among the top 5). Does this answer your question? Check out the NRMP website for a good tutorial on this but this is how it basically works.

No one can predict how a university or any other program might rank you. You have to consider all the factors I mentioned and any others that you can think of based on your impression about the program and your interview.

GL
thanks for the advice, cafe. by the way, length of your ROL last year?
my question is if i m not match at above 11 position , and if the 12th program rank me high, is it posible to match at 12th position?

I do not understand about top 5?
I read nrmp website and came to know that, if any program put u on high rank , even though u put him lower level and if u do not match from yr above program, u r going to match.
Well, no thanks to my own arrogance, I stopped the length of my ROL at 14 although I could have increased it! Posted more about this in the "hanna123 where are you" thread.

Ain't gonna make the same mistake this time BUT really hoping for a prematch this time....please please please Jesus♥
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »