Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
♥♥♥ROL Experiences of Last Year: - cafe
this is so scary! even with 14 you didn't match!!!
rinku418

You are rite.

Forget about the top 5, was just giving you an example i.e. if a program has 5 spots and you are ranked as one of the top 5 in that program then you will surely match with them (if you do not match at any of your own ROL top 11).
@zealot31948

I have myself to blame for it because I realized that my ROL was my problem with the last match. I got interviews from some programs that I interviewed last year and one PD told me that I was ranked pretty highly last year (obviously not among the top 5 for example since I did not match there).

I am US born and bred, I think my interviews were not an issue but my ROL.
my understanding from nrmp about matching process:

--" not matching" doesn't not depend on where do you rank program. IT DOES mean that program (each one)) doesn't rank you (or me) that much high that we can match. NO DOUBT.

-- maching always favor the choice of candidate, not program

-- example:
programs:
A --- best
B --- very good
C --- good

for location or other reason I like program C.
But Program A and C both ranked me high (within 20 of their 15 position, suppose)

but i make my list:
C
A
B

------------ finally i will match with program C instead of A (though program is best and ranked me high)

If A, B, C -- all rank me like 35 or 40 in number in their rank list,
I am not going to match at all.

This is my opinion from nrmp.
ok.. I had to respond ... because the person 'cafe' who DID submit a rank list last year... is not giving importance to ..

HOW THE OTHER CANDIDATES ON THE RANK LIST OF THE PROGRAM RANK THEM!!!!!!

That nullifies the importance of The TOP 5 of mediocre or low end programs (as per AMG preferences) programs!!!!

Say candidate Amanda ranks programs A B C D E F and program A is very highly rated programs amongst AMGs... and Amanda is rank 27.. ok She is off the probability of matching there!!

BUT say at program 3 .... She is rank 17.. But people above her on the list... say rank 2 to rank 13 Allll rank the program low or not at alll (AMGs do thattt!!!!) ... then she will match there... inspite of The fact she is 17th!!!!! So do not be intimidated by AMGs interviewing at a moderately IMG friendly program... fortunately or unfortunately.... AMGs generally consider presence of IMGs in a residency program... a negative point to rank that program high!

So the trick of matching ... as per a senior (who has 90 in step1 and 88 in step 2 .. Cs passed in 2nd attempt... and 2 month USCE in a community clinic with decent communication skills...) He matched at his 5th choice in a list of 7! his first 3 were indeed places like U pittsburgh and Long island Jewish -IM

Go for the match if you have had atleast 5-6 interviews with IMG friendly programs and the performance was good... But if you are not confident OR you interviewed at progarms with hospitals ranked in US new high lists etc etc... take that pre-match!

thanks for the inputs, guys. all these craziness...darn...
@meti-- I believe the same,,,,,,

If some 1 program rank u super high,, u r definitely going to match....
@ cafe, I still can't understand what is the mistake you did last year. Could you make it more simple ? Big Grin
jist is from nrmp--- for candidate:

"Rank the program according to your choice".

if you IViewed 10 programs, if only one program ranked you 'enough high' and you rank that program position 10 -- you will match.

if many programs ranked you high enough, you will match according to your choice's first one.

@kindlyassist

No I have not forgotten about how other candidates rank the program. In fact this is the reason why I say that many factors need to be considered other than where you want to match! Like I mentioned, if a program ranks you in top 5 (using my example here) and they have 5 spots, you will match with them no matter where you rank that program in your ROL (if you do not match at your top 11 programs that is) out of your 12 total programs.

If you ranked program 1 as number one but the program has not ranked you high enough and the program fills all of its spots with their top 5 preferred candidates, you will not match there. If the top 5 candidates of the program do not rank the program high on their ROL and you are the number 6 person on their list, you will match there.

My mistake was I think ranking programs that were not as IMG friendly, I ranked based on where I wanted to match rather than looking into all the factors that I later learned I needed to consider.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »