Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am FED UP OF BEING FAKe!!!!!!! - gabapentin
guys--

this is just a thought. I am soo damn fed up of seeing people at interviews sucking up to EVERYONE AT THE PROGRAM...fake smiles...applicants who keep smiling for no reason almost like the smile is painted on their face...interviewers telling us "YOU ARE A GREAT CANDIDATE" and then not even ranking us maybe...

My question is--DOES IT HELP BEING GENUINE IN THIS COUNTRY?? CAN AMERICANS SEE THROUGH PEOPLE WHO ARE BLOODY FAKE?
I just cannot keep smiling the whole day for no rhyme or reason.!!!Smiling when you meet people etc is FINe FYI!but......

Now some of you may tell me, No one asked you to the U.S , its your choice! My answer--Yeah, its my choice..I always knew people are a "little"FAKE in the U.S but when I see fellow IMGS sucking up to such an extent,its annoying..

My only hope---HOPE AMERICANS ARE SMART ENOUGH TO SEE WHO IS GENUINELY NICE AND WHO IS JUST PRETENDING TO BE!
AH GOD HELP ME!!
with you on that
I can empathize with you. I feel I'm a genuinely nice and upbeat person but when I go to IVs I get pretty irritated w/ people jumping around for 5-6 hrs for no reason other than to be noticed. However, I disagree with your generalizations about Americans. What we're seeing is just something that needs to be done here and has been done successfully for many years. I myself am a US IMG and don't even get me started on the multitude of illogical formalities taking place in the country where I went to school. Anyway, pt. being we can't change deep seated 'traditions', chin up, go through the motions and hopefully we can all match. tc...
I feel you. Unfortunately, that's d situation. They tell u..."you are an excellent applicant"...then they start giving out prematch offers and u r wondering how come they've not given u one if they really considered u an "excellent applicant". The whole process is both-sided. Applicants are doing it and the interviewers are doing it as well. Interviewers will be smiling and pretending as if they r enjoying their discussion with u even (if in their mind, they can't wait to kick u out of their office). Courtesy demands it. Then the applicant is pretending to be nice even if he/she is a jerk. It's a game. I think the applicant that's on top of his/her game might win even if pretending. u must really be bad at faking for them to know that u r faking. so forget about it, i don't think they really see thru as such. Though when d applicant overdoes it, they know that the person is faking. otherwise, just pray to God for His favor. That's what i'm doing and i know God is faithful.....
@cosmos and oao.

Thanks for your replies, guys. I know its sometimes part of culture. But, yeah sometimes you just feel that at least the interviewers should not tell you that you are an excellent candidate blah blah. No need to be rude.. But at least, be neutral maybe?

As far as fellow IMGS are concerned, some of them act and sound stupid to say the least--talking in broken english with a fake american accent!! lol

Anyways--I am going to be myself and be honest. Honesty has worked for me so far and I know that there is definitely some power-u can call it GOD who is out there!

its funny in a way..., an IV to c if what is wriiten on paper corresponds to what they c, I m sure after conducting IVs for so many years PD's can spot a fake, no point being fake but being pleasent is ok, PD's --- y do they do this----hypothesis- to make sure they are ranked high so no positions go unfilled cause u feel u have a definite shot or 2. not to crush ur spirit so that u approach other IV's with confidence ( unlikely...lol while typing it).
hey gabapentin,

I hear you. It is partly cultural partly they must be really happy and they mean it when they sat those. You can not change anybody's behavior including PDs why they are acting that way. You can modify your own behavior with screening better which is fake which is genuine.

Prematch offering is something completely different than American culture/fake smile etc. In my opinion prematches should be ABOLISHED now! but that is another topic.

Fake smiles; When you are in Rome, do what Romans do!
Americans are not dumb. The faculty keeps interviewing scores of candidates every year. I'm sure they know who to pick up and who to leave off.
In my last interview, there was a girl who was getting annoying. She kept walking with the Chief resident during he hospital tour and believe me, she won't let any of the candidates walk ahead. She was all laughter, for no reason. At the lunch table, the resident wanted an introduction from all of us and she said she can cook. The resident said he liked the dish she mentioned and she blurted out ' may be I can bribe you with it '. With that the room got silent. lolz. It was kinda funny actually
American culture is just not like giving fake smile.But it is to maintain pleasant work enviorment to reduce the amount of stress during work.

If you will work you will know everyone is serious in work and they pass smile and say hi,how are you doing once they look at each other even if they donot know each other,
If they are working together they do light jokes,it makes the work so less stressful and enjoyable.

It consider rude if you just simply work and donot make eyecontact and just passed by without saying hi or give a smile if you know some one.

Overly smile and laughter is definately inappropiate.

I hope I gave some insight
i think pds should be more trust-wordy, it is our right to estimate our chance in a program...
except certain programs, most of them definitely will fill their spots, so no need to make fake stuff, but on the other hand getting a spot for average applicant is somewhat 50% (optimistic guess), so it is reasonable for us to fake, unlike pds though...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »