Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oeteopathic medicine - nyusmle
Hi there
I am an old FMG.I am aplying for residency last 3 years.
Now I am planning for DO program in NYCOM.They are taking comprehensive
admission test for FMG.Does anybody know about this test questions.
I always appreciate the helpful effort of this forum.

GL.
Hi there
any kind soul !!
hi it is pretty interesting,do you know any such programs in california
"The Pre-Admission Comprehensive Examination will consist of multiple choice questions to be administered over three hours. Questions are drawn from the areas of Basic Sciences, General Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Pediatrics, and Ob/Gyn., and are geared towards assessing the knowledge of a practicing physician" ----> Taken directly from their website! Now whether they would waive it if you're ECFMG certified, that is another question.
My opinion only: why not do PA (physician assistant) program? It's only 2 years and costs half as much. If you want to do primary care, it is not necessary to go through that much.

Also, the whole medical school (MD or DO)curriculum gears toward preparing you for the USMLEs, so if you already have done your USMLEs, I'm wondering how that would work. After you're done with school, are you going to take the USMLEs again?

I'm doing PA school right now, and I want to do primary care. We have the same instructors with the DO students. It is 28 months vs 4 years for the DOs and costs $70K vs $165K for DOs.

Just something to think about.
Im in the program right now. They DEFINITELY wont waive the admissions exam if you ahve ECFMG. Everyone in the program currently except one guy who's wife is a 2nd year has ECFMG a few with very high scores. Last year there were 86 applicants and they took 20. The exam is pretty much what determines whether or not you get in. It wasnt that bad. The curriculum however is VERY demanding. They go into GREAT GREAT detail, and I was a first time passer of USMLE but very old graduate. I had interviews just like most in the program but couldnt land a spot. Last year they took I think 35 students in the program, this year they took only 20 because more than 20 out of 35 failed last year. This year's class is pretty strong though and noone is failing. I think this year to get in will be more competitive than last year. I used Kaplan books to prepare for the exam. It is pretty much straight from the outline that they give on the website. Only a handful of real clinical questions. I think minimum to even be considered for admission is 70% on the exam. Hope this helps.
So after you finish the program, are you going to take COMPLEX and/or USMLE again?

The curriculum usually gears toward preparing you for the COMPLEX and/or USMLE, but since you already took USMLE, then what?
I will take the COMLEX and USMLE. If you re-enroll in medical school you are allowed to take the exam again, however all scores will be reported. My scores arent bad but now im entering med school knowing exactly what to do so I have 2 years to score a 260+ on the exam and guarantee myself a top notch residency. The curriculum doesnt necessarily gear you toward the comlex vs. usmle. The are virtually the same exam except the COMLEX has osteopathic manipulative medicine. The passing rate was much higher for the USMLE actually here than the COMLEX and so was the average score. COMLEX tends to focus a little more on anatomy and neuroanatomy while USMLE has more molecular and biochem. Otherwise they are virtually identical in every way. Ive been reading the kaplan books along side the curriculum which is MUCH more difficult than my previous stab at med. school. I was shocked to tell you the the truth. I thought since its my second round it would be easy but the level they go into teaching is SOOO much more deep than USMLE. It is unnecessary how deep they go to tell you the truth especially with Anatomy and Biochemistry. Ill see what happens. Im happy here though and Im glad I got in.

As far as PA program is concerned, I looked into it. You must spend at least a year doing prerequisites such as humanities and organic chemistry and there is no way getting around this, and even then it is not guaranteed. Then it takes another year to apply because you apply only after you have completed prerequisites so in essence it takes almost two years just to be able to apply. I would have preferred the PA route to tell you the truth, but it seemed quite difficult and also very expensive. It was almost as expensive as applying to residency to apply but I agree with you that it is a WONDERFUL option and you dont even have to do residency. If it werent for the prerequisites they make you take, I would have for sure done that. I have 4 years of school and 5 years of residency ahead of me. Sometimes I dont even know what I am doing any more considering how much loans I will have when I leave but I MUST practice in America and this is the cost I will pay.

Hind site is 20/20. If I knew then what I knew now I would not be here. But now I know, and now I have the chance and the sky is the limit..
masterusmle...what book you read for nycom entrance exam....
Oh I see now why people would choose to go to DO school.

I was fortunate that I had a bachelor of science in biology before i went to medical school in the carribbean so I didn't have to do much prereq. I got accepted right away.

You will have to spend for the costs of COMPLEX AND USMLE?? Oh my god, that is A LOT OF MONEY. I mean step 2 CS alone was like $1,200 plus you gotta travel to the center. That is so outrageous.

Even I got a scholarship for my PA program, I still think it's outrageous for me to spend this much. My tuition is $70K for 28 months and my scholarship is $31,200.

Wow...that is a lot of years of spending so much money for school and not making any money. I get frustrated sometimes for going through 28 months of PA school but I guess it is not the worst.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »