Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oeteopathic medicine - nyusmle
I would have definitely preferred the PA route. It was my first option. Im happy now but definitely not an ideal situation. I thought there would be a lot more redundancy and the OMM stuff is very difficult. The tuition is over 50k a year also on top of my other loans. Thats awesome that you got in to PA school. I just didnt want to take all those prerequisites and then be disappointed in the end. Im doing all these 4 years pretty much just to retake those damn exams.

Rahul for the entrance exam its so weird. I used the kaplan books but if I could do it over, I can say that so much of it was from the Lippincott Biochemistry book especially the first few chapters. Since I am terrible at anatomy, I cannot really say where it all came from. The questions were not difficult but the competition was. There are some really smart people in the class with high 90s on their exams and many interviews, but the language barrier seemed to be what held them from getting in residency. What I did seemed to work pretty well. I actually took the syllabus they gave us, and looked up all those questions on google and various books and studied it from those sources, much of it was from lippincott. Actually the intro. course is that exact same curriculum as defined in that list. What I can tell you is that out of the 150 questions I think we had, less than 10 were clinically relevant, they were very basic science oriented so if you are fresh out of step 1 it will be a breeze. I think the interview is just a formality and it seems all that got in were based on the exam. There were many Americans that applied also, but none got in from what I know because its designed for immigrants. I entered the program not prepared, I would have mastered anatomy before entering the program if I could do it all over. They go sooo deep and ALL of anatomy is completed except neuroanatomy by end of December. In my med school we had 1.5 years of anatomy.

About 80 percent of our class is from Russia or Pakistan, and it seems the same in all years. The program was designed like 25 years ago for Russian Immigrants who escaped.

All in all I dont really know what they expect for admission. I think if you have practiced in your country you are at more of an advantage. I think I only got in because I scored really well on the entrance exam but Im not sure. I know people that tried 2 years in a row and still could not get in. I would say Im at about the 50th percentile for the Emigre class and the 90th percentile of the general student population. Like I said, our group is very very strong. Most of the Emigre Students are 35-45 years of age but we have students even 55 and above.

Rockpaper, how far are you into your education? I saw posts earlier from you when I wanted to go the PA route. How is the curriculum? Initially I thought I would be able to hold a part time job while in school but its impossible. I have to figure something out financially. I can't live like this for 3.5 more years..
We have 16 months of didactic and 12 months of clinicals. I'm done with the first 7 months of didactic. I'll be starting clinicals in November this year, and I'll be doing some rotations at Mayo in Arizona so that'll look good on my CV when I apply for residency next year. I'll be done with the program Oct 2012 and I'll apply to ERAS in Sept 2012. By then, I will have done the clinical rotations and can list them on my application.

Also, Mayo has a PA fellowship for PA graduates in hospital internal medicine, which is 12 months long and pays about the same as MD residency ~$44,000/year plus same benefits as MD residency. I'm considering it but sometimes I think that if I do this fellowship and sacrifice half of my salary as I can make double that if I practice as a PA, I might as well do MD residency. But this is an option if I decide.

I want to do family practice, so that's why I feel it is really not necessary for me to go through DO program. PAs do pretty much everything that a family physician would do. But if you want to specialize, especially surgery, then DO program would be the best since PAs can only be surgical assist. So if you definitely want surgery, then you're in a good place.

The curriculum is a piece of cake if you have already done your USMLE. I am the master of the materials. Someone with ID of paimg has posted earlier who's also in the PA program and said that he/she knows more than the instructors, it is very true. It is very relaxing. I spend most of my time studying for Step 3. I think everyone in the program is relaxed because they know they know they can make decent money after a couple of years and don't have to score high since they don't need to compete for residency. The PA board exam, PANCE, is also easy. The questions are like 2 sentences long and they have a minute to answer, not like our step 3 where the question is a whole computer screen long. Also, the PANCE is pass/fail, which makes it like a joke to us.
@ Rockpaper
can u plz. email me at
nadeali67
i need ur help
thanks
WOW that is awesome. I think your plan is a great one. I think the Internal Med. residency would be awesome and would make you so much more attractive for residency or even for a job later on. I know a PA who has her own practice and she only has to consult an MD once every 7 days I think she says. I know that Radiology Physicians Assistants make 180k in my friend's practice. I was very impressed. Kudos to you. After scoring decent on my USMLE, the curriculum I am doing is FAR from relaxing. I really was in hopes that I could balance a part time job with this, but it is impossible. Im hoping for ENT, and I really think I can do it, since I have so long to restudy for these board exams. The curriculum takes a lot of my time thouhg. For example, let me show you the homework we were assigned by the neuro teacher to complete by tomorrow:

(cut and pasted directly from email)

tracts
-where do they start?
-where do they end?
-do they cross the mid-line?
-what do they do?

cerebrospinal
corticobulbar
corticopontine
cuneate fasciculus
dorsal columns
dorsal spinalcerebellar
gracile fasciculus
medial lemniscus
lateral cuneate
olivocerebellar
pontocerebellar
pyramidal
rubrospinal
rubro-olivary
spinothalamic
ventral spinocerebellar

WE are only in our second week of neuro. actually can you believe it? On my USMLE I had stars all the way to the right in neuro. and that is a FRACTION of what they teach us here. The biochemistry was also very organic and physical chemistry involved with so many equations to memorize. I think I now realize why US Med students have such a high USMLE board pass rate with only 4 weeks of study. Oh well. I wish I met you earlier, maybe things could have been different. Do keep in touch about your endeavors. Im glad there is an intelligent non-traditional grad. out there like yourself. Personally primary care is aiming in the direction of PA's so your career prospects as a primary care PA may even be brighter than that of an FP. Just fruit for thought. GOOD LUCK MAN!!
this a excellent post guys.

i just called to nycom , and they said if you are ecfmg certificated you dont need toefl but yes the exam.

ill start looking for a PA program also, i still waiting for the results of my IV but it looks that a lot of people has conections, so this is my plan B

good luck guys and thanks for the Info
Being a woman, I think PA school is better for me because I do want to get started with my life and have a family some time in the future.
Yeah admissions is based purely on the exam..I know people that were perfect in interview and did not get in, and there are some that dont even speak english..LITERALLY and got in because of high scores on the entrance exam..I think I fell somewhere in the middle with the exam since so many good in our class, but higher eschelon in interview
for masterusmle:
Where can i get questions from? , In order to get ready for this exam.
PD: exam date april 5/11
how can a degree in PA help anyone on the residency match. PA have only one purpose its to take order. They are glorified residents all their life. How can this experience prepare you to be a physician? How would a PD even consider a subpar residency applicant with a PA degree?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »