Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jamaica externship - loku
Hi,

Anybody who has done the psychiatry externship at Jamaica brief me about the things that you did as an extern there and the timings/hrs that were expected from you. did you have calls like a resident? please let me know.

thanks.
Jamaica externship program is very well structured. As an extern u can have one-one interaction with the patient and u r allowed to write in the charts..only psych er has day and night rotations where the night rotation is from 4-10 p.m for 3 weeks. u learn a lot from the attendings. they are very approachable. The residents are very helpful. There are separate classes for the externs by the attendings and the residents. U r also taught how to take history.U r expected to be there from 8-4 pm 5 days a week. No calls.
I had an absolutely wonderful experience there and learnt a lot . The externship gave me a strong foundation in psychiatry.
Hope this info was useful.
I agree. It was a wonderful experience at jamaica psychiatry. After doing it you can feel the change in yourself. Bty it helped me to get multiple prematch offers.
SADHU BABA can you share your credentials if you donot mind
I don't have stellar scores. 77/86/cs(2nd)/80.us citizen. Research pub, worked in drug rehab,2001 grad.
how did u guys get the externship? is there a formal process? if so please provide the link

~thnx
The externship is very competitive. Only us citizen or green card accepted. They take 2 batches each year. You have to go through the same process as residency application. Have to have an excellent personal statement. Write an essay about a given topic by the selection team. IV by PD and attending.

Check the hospital website. Contact......PC.

GOOD LUCK!
Thanks! Good luck 2 u !=)
sadhu baba, what job did you do in drug rehab, how long did you do the job,

need your advice plz
I worked in the capacity of an administrator. But, the silver bullet was the 5 mo externship.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »