• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acetazolamide and Hypokalemia? Why? - koobcam
Im having trouble understanding Acetazolamide

I know it blocks Carbonic Anhydrase

Resulting in:
Increased Na Loss in urine
Increased HCO3 Loss in urine

Why is there a hypokalemia?
Whenever you have increased urine output, it's like flushing the nephrons with water and thus K would be flushed as well. So K is lost in the urine.
But remember you're losing HCO3 from the serum ==> acidemia ==> hyperkalemia as it's being shifted from inside the cells into the serum.

In general, the total body K is less, but the serum K could be normal or elevated.
I understand this, yet the literature always mentions a side effect as being Hypokalemia, and not Hyperkalemia... that's where im a little confused.
MOST OF SODIUM EXCRETED IN PROX. TUBULE (LARGE CONC.)SHOULD BE REABSORB. IN DISTAL TUBUL,,,,THIS WILL BE IN EXCHANGE OF POTASIUM,,,, LEAD TO HYPOKALEMA,,,,,,BEST REGARDS
look that's how I understand this, acetazolamide increases HCO3 excretion. your body get it as an approaching acidosis, so the kidney start increase H reabsorption which happens in exchange with K, who(;ie k) goes down in the toilet. Smile
hope its easier now
Due to CA enzyme inhibition H+ is not buffered by Hco3- in PCT lumen and neither of them are generated inside the PCT cells. Upon reaching the collecting duct, due to increased load of H + in tubular lumen H+/K+ antiport is less functional. So there is reduced K+ absorption and therfore hypokalemia
acetazolamide increases HCO3 excretion. your body get it as an approaching acidosis, so the kidney start increase H reabsorption which happens in exchange with K,
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »