Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what do you guys talk at the preinterview dinner? - gabapentin
at a University program with only AMGS..

It is kind of difficult since all they usually talk is football/baseball and I do not know anything about both the sports!!

At most programs, I am the only IMG . I am good with conversations usually--if only they talked something other than football!Sad

what do u guys do?
before you bombard me with statements like "were you living in the mountains" I am sure that many of you have gone through it. So some good advice would be appreciated.

I mean, I know we can talk about the program etc..but what other topics:?
gabapentin,

you can ask questions about the program, city, the specialty.

you can start a conversation with other applicants about how their Ivs have been, more Ivs to attend...if they mentioned a city's name you can ask them how they liked the city, program there, may be you have been to those city, you can mention that.

if they talk about american football, baseball that you dont know, ask them if they see any criket game, soccer etc...

ask the people why they chose that city, program....

start the conversation first so the conversation goes in that directions...

good luck...
yes do ask questions about program just usual questions like call schedule how is teaching etcetc that way atleast it doesnot loook like that you are not participating in discussions and also then they answer you then other ppl ask more questions so u can actually change topic
dont worry u will be fine .
I will say, you were in a difficult situation! During the dinner is a time for the resident to see if you can get along comfortable with them. See most people like being around others with the same interest, unfortunately you don't know anything about football/baseball.

What I would do is maybe ask them what is it about the team that make them cheer so hard for their team. Did that grow up in the city where the team is from! What team do they hate the most. Who is their favorite player, etc...

You can pretend you know a little about the sport, then try ease them into a topic that your more familiar with. See the dinner is really a great time to get to know one another and what makes you tick! How does the resident like the program, the city, what does residents do together, what kind of food they like, etc.....

I can talk someone to deaf, but I also know it is very important to listen. Remember the conversation should go both way and as smoothly as possible. Try not to let there be a awkward silence (this could be a deal breaker), because remember resident have an input (if they say they can't work with you at all, then more time then not you will not be ranked no matter how good your Scores are)!!!!!

Good luck to the Step and Match
agree...with above.

But I must also say that I have seen IMGS try to FORCE a conversation .. and trust me..it sounds really stupid and foolish.

In my last IV, there was a girl who kept talking about herself and her likes, interests etc and it was SOO ***IN FAKE..

Be urself
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »