Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What qualifies as USCE ? - panaah
I used to live close to Duke University, NC, the birth place of PA prog. Very expensive, pvt based and see the prereq for foreign grad on web site. I wished I got admission over there.No grantee for admission after completing prereq.
Because of no choice I end up in RN prog, rather than PA prog. I am citizen for a long time. I have many friends like me, all struggle very hard to get in PA prog, but none of them get accepted including me. You are the only one plus very few more to end up in PA prog.
I do agree that PA model is more close to MD model rather than RN prog. In a situation where you struggle very hard to suvive in US plus you are female that make me eligible for "triple jeopardy" in the future, RN prog provide me good status. But I am not stopped over here, my next destination is either PA or NP, and RN work as a base for me.
Let me explain about triple jeopardy. It means that person is in danger for povery in future than the rest of the population. And these three things are,
1) Immigrants
2)Female
3)>60 yr.
Keep in touch
Any comments!!!
@ rockpaper. PA is 4 yr prog so do we get any credit or have to do all 4 yrs.
@ kauser..Plz tell more abt NP , is it also 4 yr prog?
lol that's the dilemma - residency programs are advocating the need for usce and they usually do give out more interviews if one have such. yet it is hard to find usce.

meaningful usce would be direct patient care which is given by the following: elective (medical students), externships (drs), (observership drs). Since externships and observership is hard to find, especially in a residency program which would give more weigh, a few other ways has become popular which is physician assistant, surgical assistant, nursing, which are also field with direct patient care.

those that are stuck in the usa and has not been able to get into a residency plus tire need for practicing just medicine whatever aspect of medicine plus tire need for usce plus tire need for a paying job, nursing and physician assistant or surgical assistant would be an appropriate choice. it does provide a paying job (which doesn't go through the hassel of matching process as residency) and also usce and also medical practice.
others who are have more to their background can be flexible and move to other fields other then medicine, coz lets face the facts, not all will be matched into residency, some would have to be unmatched. so these unmatched are taking other means of a career since residency is not the end of the world lol. life has to move on not stop with residency lol

anyway deciding on how strong as an usce stuff that you provide depends on the individual reviewer of your application. i put observership in bracket since it is a weak form of usce and that is final. the rest of the means of usce depends on the individual reviewer and your lor
sabaa ......depends on the programs, but most PA programs are 24-28 months. A few may go up to 3 years (36 months) but rare. I haven't seen a 4-year PA program, might as well do medical school.

No credit/transfer given. You'll need to start from the beginning. Even if you're enrolled in one PA program and transfer to another PA program, you would have to start over, so no advanced placement in PA school or even most medical schools in the US,
In case you may ask why most PA schools or medical schools require you to start all over no matter if you were in the program at another school, the answer is simple: MONEY.
Education in this country is a busines, and every business wants to maximize their earning, so if they give you advanced placement, they would lose the tuition money that you woul've had to pay if you started from the beginning. For example, if they require you to do the whole 4 years of medical school, you would have to pay the whole 4 years even though you already finished maybe one or two years at another medical school. If they allow you to transfer to 3rd year, that school would lose tuition money that you would have to pay for 1st and 2nd year.

So that's how US education system (also known as a business) works.
also rockpaper lol - it is to give fair chance to those who wants to be physician assistant, those who wouldn't be able to make it as a doctor but have decided that they like medical work and hence can apply for it. these are provisions made for the americans. if they allow shortcut, then this physician assistant would be meaningless, since a pathway has already been made for doctors and doctors should take it. hence residency have amgs as first priority. the pathway was made for them. they have also extended this pathway to imgs but they have maintained priority for amgs. imgs however have tried in every way possible to be able to get usce and gets to be us doctor. they do this by using the physician assistant pathway and nursing. however physician assistant is not supposed to be a second stop, its for those who are not able to become a doctors for one reason or another to be able to practice medicine and function as a doctor.
a while back doctors can take the PANCE exam, which is the main exam taken by the physician assistants at the end of their physician assistant training. they pass this they then become physician assistants. this path was put to a halt because the primary meaning of physician assistant training is no longer upheld, it was more of imgs second stop.
hence the authorising body changed the path and made it mandatory, that no one can take the pance exam directly, they would have to go to school and get trained for minimum of 2 years to get a bachelor in physician assistant. doesn't matter if you have a medical degree or not. in this way, jobs are still available for physician assistants and not filled up by doctors who cannot get into residency. this is similar to nursing degree, it is a must that one should be in schooling for nursing even if one holds a doctors degree. hence to go into school for nursing or physician assistant one must apply like everyone else, and hence first priority can be given to americans who wants to be physician assistant and not prioritize doctors who couldn't get into residency
i suppose the pance was allowed back then when there were few going to usa to practice medicine, nowadays there is flooding of usa with drs wanting to practice there, they had to make necessary adjustments for the best interest of their people and at the same time still give opportunity to outsiders
kauser ....

Have you done your USMLE steps?
Do you have a BSN or Associate RN? I know you would need BSN to do NP. Most PA programs are Master's nowadays, so you would need a bachelor degree to get in.
Are you making good money as an RN? Are you working in the hospital or outpatient?
Are you an old graduate? There is another IMG from India in my PA class who is 52 years old
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »