Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many candidates does the program rank? - gumbo
How many candidates does a program usually ranks if they are going for example - say 20 position for match?
honestly.. who knows that? I guess it totally varies from program to program.. right?

anyone please..

from nrmp website (for IM):

Avg # Applications received : 1644
Avg # interviews conducted : 164
Avg # applicants ranked : 121
Avg # positions in match : 10

the numbers jk2011 provided are from the PD survey, so you get an idea that in average for a position programs are ranking 12 applicants, of course a very competitive place will be probably ranking only 5 applicants per position, and a not so competitive place will be ranking around 15 applicants just to be sure not to go unfilled.
i did ask 2 places where i interviewed and both those places, which were not that competitive told me that they were ranking around 5 applicants per position. Personally I could feel they were full of BS, but it was good to know.

GL.
if there are 10 seats and a program ranks a candiddate in first 40 of 120 ranked what are the chances of that caniddate to match
No idea, if you are between the first 10 you are in, between 10 and 20 you still have great chances and so on, it all depends whether or not there are more than 9 applicants from the 39 before that particular candidate that also are ranking that program high enough and are matching in there.
You can not calculate that! because it will have a lot to do with coincidence and chance!
Just do not torture yourself thinking about that! most people will get matched in one of their first 4 options, if they do match.
In my case I would be happy matching in any of my first 8 options, if you are looking for matching in one particular institution you better have some contacts in there that can push for you or you have really impressed them on interview day!
Just relax and do not panic, if you do match consider yourself fortunate enough, many people will go unmatched, but that does not define you as a doctor! it is not the end of the world.
It is impossible to calculate your chances when they depend on the thounsands of other people involved in the match.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »