Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master degree - eelias
@ rockpaper you can check this post http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=567086
How long is the fellowship at mayo clinic? And how many years has it been since you graduated from med school? If i were you, I would go for the fellowship, going for an MPH in a good university means getting a high GRE score, and having a strong statement of purpose. Whatever you choose keep your time line in mind.

GL
Mayo fellowship is 12 months, pay and work are the same as MD IM intern.
I graduated in 2005.
@ rockpaper it'll be 6 yrs after grad that u'll apply for residency, isn't it? I think best is to go for the fellowship, mayo clinic's name has a huge weight age. If you go for MPH, u'll have to apply by nov. 2011 so that u can attend classes in either spring or fall semester of 2012, so by the time u actually apply for residency u'll be well above the avg. 5 yr cut off of most programs, one year doesn't make much of a difference if your application is strong as your does sound.

In case you dnt make it in residency you can always go for MPH later on.

I graduated in 2008, and my step one score is in the 80s, i dnt think PA school would fit well, instead i should opt for MPH and finish off my steps. Is it actually possible to do steps n MPH at the same time? so confused. I really need to put in something USish in my application. Trying for research also but all i am getting are cold leads Sad
intune ....so you still have CK and CS to take? As you said, if you apply in Nov this year, you won't begin MPH until spring or fall 2012, which is a year or more from now, you can take this time to clear these two exams, and step 3 if possible. I'm working on my step 3 right now with PA school Smile

I think you're right, I should either apply for residency right after I finish clinicals (I will be doing some clinical rotations at Mayo clinic also, as part of my clinical year) or go for the fellowship then apply. I think one more degree, especially MPH, would not do me any good because I want to do underserved/rural FM so these programs value USCE more than research.

I think at Oregon Health Science University, they have a preventative medicine residency for MD/MPH, so doing an MPH from such a program would be a good idea.

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/schools...ection.cfm
I have to just take my CK and step 3, i checked your link but they say they need LORS from previous residency programs? As well as a state medical license? So doesn't it sound like this program is a good fit for someone who has actually done residency? For example someone who applied to prelim programs, n then when applied for categorical did not match? Its happens more often then you think.

Or do they treat u as as a resident in PA school? I think for me, a simple MPH program would suffice, if you come across any program that does offer dual degrees but doesn't have such rigid requirements plz do post.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »