Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please: Definitive psych rol? - nadimgpsych
I´m really struggling with the programs in my ROL, especially with the higher positions.

1/2Tufts University (J1, maybe h1 i need to investigate)
2/1 NSLIJ (h1)
Institute of Living (j1)
Harvard South Shore (j1)
Baylor (j1) (this one could be number 3 or 4 but, I still don´t know if I should give priority to the reputation of the program and its location in Houston. My preference is northeast, but i think i should be more flexible)
University of Chicago j1, h1
SUNY downstate (j1, h1)
UVA (j1)
Westchester medical college (h1)
University of Buffalo both visas i think
Cleveland Clinic j1, h1
Albert Einstein h1

I have other programs, but i think before mentioning them, at least i should know my top 10 (if I was sure of my top 5 i could be happy too, haha)

I´m looking for a program with very good teaching, and balanced training in biological psych and psychotherapy, i prefer larger cities and in the northeast, but i could be flexible depending on the program.

Thank you
pl, any input?
You just made everyone so depressed and scared. LOL

You ahve good interviews. Rank them according to your preference. You will match within your top 5 choices, for sure.
Very difficult to answer the top 5 list.

I have a similar question.

How will you access the "program's psychotherapy strength" (especially among the top 5 choices).
I am also struggling with my top 4 choices.

I am reviewing the program's website again. Looking at all small details now Smile

Good Luck everyone Smile
Dear 2ndtime:

That´s my problem...everyone tell me rank according the order of my preference. the problem is that i don´t know my preference. I like some stuff of one program, but in other areas i like the other. If I were sure about my top 5 I would be happy... but NSLIJ, Tufts, Baylor, IOL and Harvard south shore they are giving me a nightmare..and I´m also studying for step 3. I just want to make the right choice, if the programs didn´t want me, at least i know that the list had my desired order. Don´t become scared or depressed....we must be very optimistic!=)

Thanks!

Any other inputs will be highly appreciated...
nadim....u will definitely match in your top 3 choices..rather in your top most choice..u have awesome credentials ..am struggling too with my ROL....it's difficult...
Rule of thumb: You always rank the programs according to your preference keeping your individual situation in mind. Family, kids, fellowship, location, work environment, research or no research, faculty, fellow residents, grocery strores, malls, day cares. There are so many things to look at when we make our rank order list. Residency is not just about the program and work. You get two days off when you want to enjoy your free time with family or friends. So make sure you pick the programs that give you a well rounded package. Baylor is good but are the residents happy? May be albert einstein has the most satisfied residents. You should know what you want. An extremly competitive program or not so competitive but a well balanced work environment. Too cold or too warm. small town or big city. You know the bestSmile. Good luck!

P.S: dont worry about how the program will rank you. After all the AMGs are ranked, really it is a matter of mere luck who will stand where on the rank list and who would actually match there. Your list should be according to where you want to get matched.
nadimgpsych, you have had some of the best programs both in quantity and nos.
For ROL, meditate (make your mind calm and peacful) and ask what ever Divine power you believe in to guide your choices, than close this chapter and Concentrate only on the Step 3. Hope this helps.
Good Luck!
Dont worry about psychotherapy too much. Every program has some psychotherapy training and trust me, in psychiatry, you are doing psychotherapy with every single patient. The real psychotherapy sessions in a nice office setting is very rarely done by a psychiatrist. Mostly we have excellent psychologists who help us do that job. We all learn psychotherapy regardless if the program is strong in it or not. Practically every psychiatrist is strong in psychotherapy. Pick a program based on the work environment, your ability to blend in, faculty's area of interest, inpatient experience and good university setting with affiliation with some prison system to give you that forensic flavor of psychiatry. Psychiatry residency in a university program is always the best part.
I agree with 2nd time comments 2 & 3 (not his first comment). And, if you interested to specialize in particular field, Univ. Programs are better for getting into fellowships.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »