Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After illness, I want to go back to medicine. - slowturtle
Hi all:
I graduated from a US med school in 1999, received credits for 2 years of residency in psychiatry, passed all three USMLE Steps within 7 years (though with low scores), resigned from the residency in Nov 2004 because of a severe illness, never had a full medical license, am currently doing well, and am planning to resume my training in psychiatry. Here are my questions:
1- Should I begin all over again at PGY 1 level?
2- How do I scramble for such positions after the Match this year? I did not sign up for ERAS for this Match.
3- Are PGY 2 positions in psychiatry through the Match? Can I scramble for these as well?
At this point, I don't care what part of the country I might have to go to, just as long as I finish my training in psychiatry and go back to Virginia or Maryland to practice. Thank you for your help.
I am not sure if you can scramble. But there are always openings for PGY-2. I would have a cogent story and my detailed medical file ready if such a position opens-up. However, the worst thing that you can do to your chances is faking a story where none exists.

Also, see your medical school's officials, they might be able to help. After all, they had accepted a part of responsibility for your career when they admitted you to their medical school.
Sorry to know about you......if u dont mind can u tell me what serious illness you had?

my email is vtp010807
VRNGTURN: Thank you for your help. I do have a cogent story detailed in my personal statement. Besides findaresident.com and APA Clearinghouse, do you know where else I can look for PGY 2 positions? Or even PGY 1?
To scramble, you need to register for NRMP, as well as ERAS and send all documents so that they are scanned by march 15th, good luck.
unitedhealth: Thank you. Do you know whether PGY 2 positions in psychiatry are available through the scramble?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »