• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oh boy - that is a tough call - please advise me - frgdoc
I generally prefer Internal Medicine over Surgery

How should I rank this?

St. Elizabeth (tufts affiliated community hospital) - Internal Medicine
MGH/Surgery - Surgery
BIDMC/Harvard - Surgery
Tufts Medical Center - Surgery

Would you rank these prestigious surgery programs higher than the IM program, even though you like Internal Medicine more in general?

Thank you.

frgdoc
Its a totally different path, so think hard about the best and the worst in each field..egConfusedtanding for hours in an operating room etc..and the worst you can think of if u r in Med..this is for your whole life so decide well. Good luck.
i seek honest advice - this is not a BS posting
thanks cinnamon - i wish i would be able to figure things out - all the matching messed up my head....
I understand you frgdoc. I too, have to choose between IM and FM...and I have almost come into conclusion, will rank FM higher. Its only you who can really decide..
I will pick surgery no matter what. You will have a miserable life, for sure, but its all worth it. If you dont like it, you can always go back to medicine. But I wont even think about medicine, if I had a good chance to get surgery.

On the other hand, if you really like medicine, you should be smart enough to do what you really want to do. Remember, residency is a tough experience and people who just make choices to get a short term benefit may enjoy the intial euphoria but in the long run, you can actually be pretty miserable at work. I am all about-do what you really like to do.
The question you should ask yourself is

What am I interested in ?

If you dont know, then be pragmatic and apply for the spot you feel you will get. If after a year of surgery(or medicine) you find that you are not interested in it, there is nothing to stop you from applying again to Medicine(or Surgery) with greater clarity.

AS one of the prior posters said, this is a life changing decision. Even if you loose a year, it will be worth it in the long run. This decision will determine your work life as a vocation or just a job. Take your time. You have been handed an oppurtunity.

Good Luck .

He,he,he,he! Hilarious stuff!
thanks guys i appreciate.

asifali - good joke about the good life bad life scenario....
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »