Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IM-Atlanta Medical Center or Union Memorial ? - patel21
Hi guys !
Can any one guide me which one is better in terms of fellowship placements..
Atanta Medical Center has history of matching into competitive fellowhsips including GI, Hem-onc,,, Whereas Union Memorial hopsital's history doesn't suggest very optimistic..

But Union Memorial program emphasizes more on research and have very good research opportunities availabe in program itself besides doing at Univ of Maryland (via affiliation)..
Whereas, you get opportunity to do research at emory university if matched into Atlanta Medical Center..

I am confused which program to rank higher !!!!!!!!

Any inputs from you guys !!!
GL with match!!!!
Cheers !!!!!!!
did you hear anything from Union Memorial regarding ranking?
Please if anyone has any inputs, i will appreciate that !!!!

@ Bigsam.. only from Dr. Ferguson...not from other faculty
@ patel21, you mean Atlanta Medical Center, right? If it is Atlanta Medical Center, I will definitely go with it. As for Union Memorial, although they claim a lot of research opportunity, I didn't see people doing a whole lot research there. My friend told me their affiliation with University of Maryland is kind of loose, especially considering Univ. Maryland has its own medical school.

@ bigsam..
Thanks for your suggestions.
Yes, i am talking about atlanta medical center... Can i ask you what does it mean when you say "their affiliation with univ of Maryland is kind of loose"?? As far as i recollect, they have a strong affiliation with univ of maryland as all residents go there for electives and research...
Atlanta medical center don't have research in house,,, people who wants to do fellowships does electives and research at emory...

My only question is would we get enough research opportunities at both these programs OR in other words, would it be really hard if we wana pursue high-tier fellowships including Cardio and GI in either of the programs?
Any inputs in this bigsam ?

I appreciate your inputs, bigsam !!!!!!!!!!
Thanks

Are you sure ALL of the residents go to U. M. for electives and research? According to my resident friend there, only a few of them go for research in U.M. A connection is important to find research opportunity.

I think Atlanta Medical Center has a bigger reputation and better academic records of fellowship recruitment. Don't know too much about the research opportunity there.

To be honest, I seriously doubt a lot of high quality research could be done in community hospitals like them. I guess most of the people who went to high-tier fellowship must already have good academic records or good connections.
@ bigsam.. I have no resident friend there, but i mentioned that because i was told like that during my interview from PD and another facutly member... Its true that connection matters to find research opportunity at U of Maryland.. but i strongly believe that as a resident you have all powers in hand to find such connections through your skills, interests and hard work (even though its a community program, but good thing is both these programs are affiliated with good universities).. Its upto you how much you are willing to get rubbed off... The PD (Dr. Ferguson) of Union Memorial seems very optimistic about doing research.. that was what i like the most about it.. But their fellowship placements into mediocre fields (and not GI or Cardio) disappoints me to rank them high....

I agree that Atlanta Medical Center has bigger reputation for fellowship placements.. the PD (Dr. Parker) herself told that its obviously tough to get into high tier fellowships including cardio and GI...but people have matched into good high-tier fellowships.. Emory is a wonderful opportunity that residents get there to do research..

Whats your thoughts in this?
I will go with real data, such as the academic record.

thanks bigsam !!!!!!!!!!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »