Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neurology Vs Internal Medicine - washingtonianguy
@washingtonianguy..

Good point in the sense there are less competitions for getting fellowships as applicants are less..
I like Vascular field as it closely resembles to cardiovascular field (that you do after IM).. Again, thats just my point of view !!!

Believe me if you are matching into neurology, you would get multiple opportunities to do build your CV for vascular field...its upto you then how much efforts you put into to acquire that field..

Hope we all match into our desired places Smile
Listen honey,
go for IM,
don't be in the middle of no where.I hate unstable personalities,but it doesn't mean i hate you too.Stick to whatever you decide.Don't be undecisive.
Thanks for the prayers.

You should have said "yes" to prematch.I am sure you will match.My prayers for you.

Could you share your creds,the same old is gold q.
Rimantidine... I have met and know .. 2 people who went into neuro and then were totally 'disgusted' and also some of my friends.. When got into neuro.. and absolutely loved ittt!!!

Prestige of the university of where You are doing your stuff MATTERS BIGGGG time for me... and so is neighbourhood and safety etc etc.. am a family man!!!!

So... If I take a decision... I am the kinds... Which ends up being passionate about my choice .. (It was like that during my marriage too... was undecided in the beginning.. But once I took the decision.. then Now No 'looking at other persons platter and drool' sydrome lol!!!

Once I decide neuro.. than Thats ittt !! If IMM thats itt!

BUT having said so.. consulting friends seniors,, and wise people in a forum.. and my teachers... Have alsways helped me take my decisions as these are all good people...

I am stable after I take my decision .. unstable.. while taking my decision.. this is a phase too ! dude .. So chill again and Dont hate me... !
ait, am chilled again.Keep chilling me untill and after the scramble day.
i don't hate you,in fact i love you now an will keep loving you.
Good luck in your decisions and career.I am sure you will like it.
Keep me in your prayers to get either FP or Psych.We will meet one day.

it is very easy to confuse IM with neuro. (at least u are not asking OBG vs. neuro!!) i am sure u are not the only one who have this dilemma . if u don't think of money now and u like both specialties equally then decide based on name of program, if good university ...etc.
First things first- IM is more competitive than Neuro. Most people with uni Neuro calls don't have uni IM calls.

Second: UTH and Wayne State are not prestigious by any stretch of imagination.
@wrngturn..UTH is not prestigious but very well known program in the south for neuro (not IM). wayne...i don't know,i thought it was very depressive place! I don't think IM is more competitive than neuro when u think of no. of positions available. anyway...what were u trying to say?
Agree with smartneuro..

UTH is one of the best place to do Neuro residency.. I personally don't have IV call from UTH, but i know the reputation of that program..

Every field these days is competitive,, either its IM, FM, Peds, or Neuro.. The PD's like to know your committment in every field you apply to.. Its just because the applicant pool for each field is growing year by year..

I personally prefer IM to Neurology. I have seen neurologists making $150 k with subspeciality in EEG & EMG. That too being a neurologist (not neurointervention/vascular neurology) you have to cover general neurology all the time because you cannot earn bread and butter by practicing your subspeciality itself. At the end of the 5 years( 4 years residency + 1 or 2 years fellowship) you may me end up earning 10-20 higher than an internist which does not make sense.

If you continue in Internal medicine within 6 years your graph will change in a spectacular way.

An average joe can derive more satisfaction from Internal medicine than neurology (all strokes/headaches make you feel sick)

Take your final decision based on your no of INTEREST , no of interviews....

at the end of the day INTEREST matters a lot....
all the best!!
agree with dumdum.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »