Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMGs can only get J1 this year - imcorrespondence
Read this news from law attorney

http://www.hallrender.com/library/articl...11HLN.html

Unless all the hospitals join together and urge the congress to make an amendment in the law ,this year all IMG have to get J1 visa only
do you discuss this issue with your lawyer?
are you serious about this shit!

should we rank J1 programs higher?
Is thid rumor or true?

what are the impacts please?
imcorrespondence,

Don't generalize everything to all IMGs. While it might be true, residencies at universities (univ hospitals) & non profit organization hospitals are still cap exempt. Stop worrying about it and if at all you were to not fall in the two categories and get a J1, still you got a nice career except that your green card might be delayed by a few years and that too only if you get a fellowship on J1.

Most of friends already filed for their H1s and as I said, University hospitals and non profit ones are still cap exempt.

Good Luck
http://www.uscis.gov/h-1b_count

USCIS reaches H-1B cap for 2011
As of January 26, 2011, USCIS has received a sufficient number of petitions to reach the statutory Cap for FY2011. USCIS has also received more than 20,000 H-1B petitions on behalf of persons exempt from the cap under the advanced degree exemption. USCIS will reject cap-subject petitions for new H-1B specialty occupation workers seeking an employment start date in FY2011 that are received after January 26, 2011. USCIS will apply a computer-generated random selection process to all petitions that are subject to the cap and were received on January 26, 2011.

what does this mean?
nostringsattached,

The advance degree exemption category is for those on F1 status that completed masters and applying for H1. The cap subject are the ones applying into the regular quota. There is another cap exempt where most residencies fall which are either higher educational institutions or non profit organizations. USCIS is no longer accepting new application for the cap subject category.
all this is not entirely true guys...i prematched in prelim med and got my H1 approved...my attorney was also talking abt the cap thing and telling to keep up the visa petition soon but later on i got it for this year...

hope this helps....
so the bottom line is we should not worry about this issue much? and go on with the plan of ranking:

uni H1 > uni J1 > Community with fellowship H1 > Community with fellowship J1 > community with no fellowships
@imcorrespondence,
is there any changes in the H1b cap exemption criteria this year?

@nostringsattached,
it means that if the institution filing your H1 visa is subject to cap, it will no longer accept applications if it was filed after January 26, 2011, and for those that was filed on January 26, 2011, they will be selected by a random process.

I'm just wondering why "imcorrespondence" brought thia up.
Is there any changes in other years?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »