Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what i think went wrong with those - nostringsattached
who did not match despite their high scores. People are emailing me asking for reasons, here is what I think :

1. Most important and foolish mistake people make is not ranking all or adequate programs they interview at, thinking they will match at top tier programs. To define adequate is difficult, but I feel atleast 10-12 should be ranked.

2. Improper behavior on the day of interview or poor communication skills, comes next.

3. Lack of USCE, by this I mean people who have done some observership at private practitioners or associates are not considered USCE.

4. No research experience, this is difficult to get for any IMG. But people are doing it.

Factors 2, 3, and 4 set applicants apart from others who have same or even higher scores.

These are the reasons that come to my mind right now. People can add more.
what about this one.....
not properly and thoroughly checking the criteria of a program and just applying blindly... like if they have a cutoff for step1 score of 210 and you apply with a 200..........

also, since we're on this topic.... nosestring, id like ur opinion too (i emailed another helpful forum friend re this & got v sound advice) -------

if a program needs 3 LoRs and u only (at the time of applying) got say, one, BUT the other two will be definitely on the way coz you're currently in the process of working towards them (doin ur usce), will they even consider you....?
basically im asking what do you do about LoRs that are 'on the way' ?

nice thread.... hopefully ppl will add sincere stuff : )

Cheers!
Adrian
i would say applying to 20 more programs is better than applying to say 50 odd programs and ending with less than 10 ivs. We are IMGs we have to apply more.

See some programs are not stringent about their criteria. I have seen that, experienced myself as well. If they say they need hands on clinical experience, one can get iv with observership also. if they say 1 year of USCE, one can get iv with zero USCE but handful of research experience. The Program Director reading the applications, sometimes doesn't know the criteria listed on website that might even not be updated.

About LOR: I would say if the program has really liked your rest of the application and the 1 LOR is attention seeking, then they might wait for next 2 LORs. Decision depends on what kind of applications they get, they may reject, put on hold or even extend an iv.
I'll like to add time of application submission, and how complete your application is.

Applying September 1st, is the best chance of getting more interviews. It is first come, first serve and if you delay this by a month or so - there may not be as many spots for IVs.

Also making sure your application is complete. Some programs I IVed at were very specific about having all my things in, this I believe is another big factor. If the whole package is complete, it makes you more desirable.

I am not sure how Visa status plays in this, but I can share that at one program I was directly told by the PD that they only wanted US Citizens and Visa holders.

I really hope this helps those of you who need it, and that if anything this will help you be stronger candidates for next year!

Best of Luck
Visa status plays a Big part. My classmate with almost my same scores got 5 interviews when i got none just because he was US greencard holder. We both did not get our ecfmg certificates yet.
visa status is not a big factor at all. they might get 3-4 more interviews. but when comparisons are made among high profile candidates, visa status does not matter at all because most of the Uni programs are J1...

application submission: well if you delay by a month, you are bound to get less ivs. But if you delay upto say 5-7 days, it will not matter.
thanks for the reply! : )

this continuing thread re time of application is v interesting too....

iv ALWAYS heard completely contrasting opinions re this...

in the MTB2 book, conrad fischer says "end of September" is "competitive" he clearly states its not exactly first come first serve.

but then again he goes on to say that usce means zilch coz PDs understand it v v diff to get any us exp for IMGs..... so that makes me wonder if he's got the current facts right..... : s

will def be watching this thread... : )

Cheers!
Adrian

@adrian:
this is regarding '' a program needs 3 LoRs and u only (at the time of applying) got say, one, BUT the other two will be definitely on the way coz you're currently in the process of working towards them (doin ur usce), will they even consider you....?
basically im asking what do you do about LoRs that are 'on the way' ?''

This is the situation I was in. Only one LOR was uploaded in Sep the rest came by Oct. I just applied with one LOr and informed the progs individually that the rest are on the way. Updated them again via email when they were uploaded. This worked for me. I got as many calls as I expected afer the letters got uploaded. Smile

It doesn't seem to be such a hassle even though I was paranoid at that time.
hey pgywoks!

thank you thank you for the info... !

when u said - "and informed the progs individually that the rest are on the way" im guess you emailed them saying 'im so-&-so and this is just to inform you da da da...'...?
i mean ERAS doesn't have a facility by which u can have that known to programs as they see ur application right?

thanks again for the helpful reply! : )

Cheers!
Adrian
yes, I emailed them again. I don't think ERAS allows that.
Good luck Smile
Cheers!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »