Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
caribbean graduates vs img - hopeful_img
can anybody claim that caribbean med school grads are more successful in match than imgs of other countries ?
Caribbean imgs are usually US citizens, so no visa restriction.
Caribbean went to undergrad in the US, so many have connections
Some even did other degrees in the US before med schl, so another advantage
Caribbean IMGs do clinical years in the US, so again connections (USCE and LORs)
Those that have ties to an area/state, are able to use it to their advantage during IVs, esp with PDs who might prefer for the residents to have good support system around.
In undergrads, those going thru pre-med track, pretty much volunteered at hospitals and clinics as well, so again connections run deep.
Most, if not all Caribbean med schl owners are usually US trained docs, so many are able to help their students scramble if necessary.
Many of their previous grads have gone thru or are in residency progs, so it becomes an old boy network.
Many Caribbean IMGs had good shot at US med schls and in some cases, some came from there even, but due to diff reasons either withdrew or were forced out.
Again its the whole us versus them thing, where the PD might want someone that has an American accent vs what they think is different.

Caribbean IMG. Not all are equal. There are couple decent schools there. Student from those Schools have greater chance of residency. Many of otherstudents struggle with thier board exams.
It all depends on experience of PD with specfic nationalities. If Past IMG from XYZ countries or Carbiean struggle on program. It will be closed toothers. If they shined and PD has good experience, people from that country continue to get special treatment.

I have seen program to get only Phillipino Doctors or I heard from PD- a Medical school name something like "Fatima xyz" at Pakistan is equivalent to top US medical school.

Or indian medical school at Deli ( Don't remember the name) is one of the best in world.

But all is based on past experience.

One thing for sure, I have seen IMG-Foreign PD or Chariman on University base Medical school. However, I have yet to see a PD or Chairman whom graduated from Carbiean School.

Just some thought ! Nothing personal.
No doubt they are at advantage as compared to other Imgs, But think why anyone willl leave US and go to caribbean for medical school-simple they are not smart enough to get in to one here, and most of the pds no this, But yes ironically they are at advantage from IMgs some of whom may be the most outstanding candidates from their country.
@paceage, on the contrary, your post seems quite biased I must say, you have to have gone through the whole system of applying to med school in the US to be able to talk about that. Its not a straight forward process, many actually had great GPAs from undergrad and ok MCAT scores. The med field in the US is extremely competitive, even when applying. Thats like saying the person who didnt match to ortho or derm isnt smart, even if they got a 99 on boards. I've had friends from stellar US med schls that didnt match at those competitive spots coming from top US med schools. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH SPOTS, its that simple.
I am a Caribbean grad with more connections than Obama.. I already own 3 PDs who are ready to put me in this coming September... screw you pathetic losers waiting to match!! oh AND MY BOARD SCORES ARE ABOVE 90 : ) WITH 5 US LORS AND USCE WITH RESEARCH AND 6 PUBLICATIONS!! I AM A WARRIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a carribbean grad with NO connection and NOT from the top 4 schools in caribbean, BUT I passed step1/2/cs all on first attempt and got a PREMATCH to my top favorite program the I interviewed....

YES I do agree that we need to hire US citizens (AMERICANS) in AMERICA for AMERICAN jobs regarding of what nationality you are if you are an AMERICAN CITIZEN you should be hired over some bozo head from Indian or some other country, IT is about time that we need to give our jobs to americans and stop exporting jobs overseas like we have been doing with everything else...

True America is the land of opportunity and a melting pot, but first priority should be given to AMERICANS... (and that's not being racist or prejudice by any means) not to foreigners who use America and American money and take our jobs send the money back to their country and then they start to hate us and start plotting against us and call us stupid Americans...and back in their countries they protest and chant anti-US sentiments and so forth...

I Gaurantee you folks that NO country in the world would welcome us Americans with an open arm like we do to others who come to America.

@warrior_doc cocaine's a hell of a drug (chappelle)
men2b,
I totally agree with what you said and no it should not be taken as racist because it's true. No country ever would welcome people from other countries like US does. American citizens should be given first priority. For those who disagree with me just imagine your self applying for a job in your country and this goes to somebody from here! so, how you would feel?
By the way I am IMG.....
To Paceage.... You are completely wrong. There is not enough medical schools in the US,this is the number one reason for which a lot of people go away for med school. India has 600 medicals, United States has Less than 200 Medicals.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »