Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
doctors who stutter....... - hope490
As far as cs is concerned..u can always notify them before hand .....and in US...they cannot discriminate u due to this...
@ck21: They cannot discriminate but all points to the fact that they do. Remember that program directors don't give any explanation about why they are not hiring you therefore they can get away with discrimination.
Hope490-

One of the common issues that I run into with docs is resolving issues with speech, whether it be with accents, pacing (talking too fast), and in your case, stuttering. Even the best speakers have those issues.

There are some physical exercises and drills you can do to overcome it, as well as a several thoughts to keep in mind mentally to catch yourself when it does happen. In most stuttering cases, the problem seems to go away when you're actually practicing medicine or talking about things in your life that you love (and therefore, naturally comforting).

If you want to go over some of those drills, its easier to demonstrate rather than write and hopefully I can find a few moments to go over them with you. Just send me an email if there's anything I can do to help. (theusmlezone, re: Stuttering issue)

Best Wishes,
DrBrian
Regarding CS what I did is the following: In all the stations I started presenting myself and explaining to the patient that I have a stuttering problem and if he/she couldn't understand me I would repeat the sentence. Doing that I addressed the problem from the beginning. My main fear was that maybe I would need more time. Happily I didn't. I don't know how much do you stutter Hope490, but I think that if your problem is not severe you can do the same and avoid to ask for special accommodations to take the test. I hope this helps.
@kazuo19

I'm sure you got your score by now, do u have any advice for me. I have the same issue as you, i have a mild to moderate stutter. Its the only thing worrying me, besides that i have done enough practice on everything.

thanks
uamsguy

You can't choose to be a king, but you can choose to be a doctor, stammer or no stammer. I'm sure encountering a doctor with a stammer gives the patient an air of uncertainty when it comes to physician trust. The physician may come across as being unsure or undecisive, so patient may be scared.
@Zeus23
Practice a lot with a friend timing yourself. When you enter the room introduce yourself and explain that you have a stutter and in case the patient doesn't understand, you will repeat the sentence. Then proceed trying to do the best you can. I think that step 2 CS is not a big problem but to enter a residency it is because they prize communication skills; therefore, we have a disadvantage in that sense. Having said that, I will not give up. Good luck.
could I get your skype id? i have some other questions, thanks so much for replying
@zeus23
Write me an email to gnomopocho
I'm so glad I found this thread. I thought Im just the only doctor with this problem.

I'm a IMG and just finished my step1 last year and now studying for CS.
I'm a mild stutterer since I was 6 years old.
I encounter a lot of "speechblocks" every day especially when I'm anxious so I tend to speak faster(to avoid those embarassing speechblocks)

I know I need to speak slowly during SP making me vulnerable to speechblocks and that is making me more anxious hehehe...(vicious cycle)

Is it advisable to tell the SP in advance that you are a stutterer?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »