Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
J1 vs H1b ? - momo_surgeon

Hi ,

few stupid Questions (sorry) from someone still preparing for step 1 !

what is the exact difference between J1 , H1b visas ?

Q1.
we know H1b residents must take step3 and finish the residency years , then set for Board exams in IM or ped or ...

but ; J1 visa residents ? do they set for set for Board exams (in IM or ped or ...) without taking step 3 ?
or they cant even take the board ? i.e. finish residency then go back home for at least 2 yrs ?

Q2.
H1b residents .. is it true they cant do a fellowship (like Nephrology Fellowship after IM residency) ???
and only J1 residents can do fellowships ?

Q3.
we know J1 visa is for maximum 7 yrs .. what if someone did 5-6 yrs residency (like surgery) and want to do a fellowship of 3 years = total more than 7 years .. is this allowed (J1 extension more than 7 years) ? or not allowed ?

Q4.
if someone have GC .. and did a residency in a small community program (which gives H1b to residents need visa) .. do this 'someone' have an opportunity in fellowships after IM board exams ? or no ?

finally , sorry I know my Qs seem too stupid .. but I need answers plz , thanx in advance ..

any answers ?
momo

Q1All residents irrespective of visa must finish step 3 before they begin PGY3..to get H1b you have to finish Step 3 Before you start residency.

q2. Both H1 and J1 residents can do fellowship but general trend is it's easier to get fellowship on J1

q3 No idea..regarding extendin j1 beyond 7 yrs

q4.Small community program means competitive fellowships are harder to get.At the same time GC is a big plus for fellowships too and that's another trend.wait for green card and then apply for fellowships
@maharaj21
thanks bro .. u always answer my questions .. God bless u ..
Hi maharaj21,

Your suggestions were of good help. I too want to know about J1 fellowship. If I get a J1 fellowship, and then the only road to board certification would be to go through residency after fellowship... i.e. 1yr + 5-6 yrs surgical residency....that would then complete 7 years....then what is the path to overcome 2 yr return rule, or to continue working in US?

in short, is it worth taking the fellowship on j1 at the start or no?
Your time to my query is appreciated..thanks...
[we know H1b residents must take step3 and finish the residency years , then set for Board exams in IM or ped or ...but ; J1 visa residents ? do they set for set for Board exams (in IM or ped or ...) without taking step 3 ?]

finishing step 3 is a must before board. ABIM, ABP etc need step 3 to be done prior to these exams. There is no relation to visa status and boards

[H1b residents .. is it true they cant do a fellowship (like Nephrology Fellowship after IM residency) ??? and only J1 residents can do fellowships ?]
Not true at all, it is difficult to get fellowships AND ask for H1b visa, most programs will not sponsor. Easier for programs to sponsor J1 fellowship. You can get fellowships on both, H1b is harder.

[we know J1 visa is for maximum 7 yrs .. what if someone did 5-6 yrs residency (like surgery) and want to do a fellowship of 3 years = total more than 7 years .. is this allowed (J1 extension more than 7 years) ? or not allowed ?]
Very difficult to get around the 7 year home country return limit - unless you are successful in filing for a waiver.

[if someone have GC .. and did a residency in a small community program (which gives H1b to residents need visa) .. do this 'someone' have an opportunity in fellowships after IM board exams ? or no ?]
yes they have full opportunity to apply to any fellowship or any specialty of their choice.

hope this helps
for more tips and IMG tools
check http://mleresidencytips.blogspot.com/
I think this H1B case in interesting

If someone successfully match in a H1B sponsored community program and manage to find a H1B fellowship program as well eg in ID. The total years will be 3+2 = 5 years.

My lawyer give the info regarding GC application process that you need to find a permanent job in order to file for GC. Of course, either residency or fellowship program is not a permanent job, in contrast, th hospitalist job is. Then we need to find a hospitalist job after residency first .. then file for GC .. fellowship later.

My question is, back to the case above, after 5 years of residency and ID fellowship, do you still have an opportunity to apply for GC? since the maximum period for H1B is 6 years and you have only 1 year left to work in a permanent position. Also, the GC process takes at least 2 years which means after 5 years of residency and ID fellowship, I have no option left but going back home for 1 year. Am I right?
OMG

I am from Egypt .. I though my country has the most bureaucratic government , the most weird laws in the world ,

but recently I discovered that US is bureaucratic toooooooo
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »