Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upcoming resident, Suspecting Tuberculosis - idea
Hi Friends,
I am in USA. I have got residency. I am going to start from July 1, 2011 on J1 visa.
But based on my symptoms, my doctor suspected TB.
what should i do if my sputum test comes positive.
will having TB prevents me from doing residency and getting J1 visa?
What steps do I have to take ?

According to my knowledge, generally we become non infectious with 2- 3 weeks of starting anti tb treatment , and then I need to get three negative smears to confirm my non infectious stage.
Am I correct?

Friends, any one please give me some advise. I am so scared
Please any one who is in residency, please give me some advise
I don't think your PD will risk to take you after 2-3 weeks of treatment. Most likely is going to be like 2-3-6 months of treatment. PD will be afraid that if you infect patient the patient is going to get them in lawsuit for millions. Try to see it from the PD site.
Of course you might be lucky and the PD will wait for you until you finish with the treatment.
I don't know interesting question
EHS bulletin from OSU (valid for most institutions)

If your skin test is positive, a chest x-ray and a physical exam will be done to see if the tuberculosis is active (infectious) or inactive (noninfectious). If the exam shows that the TB is inactive, the physician may start you on medicines that prevent active tuberculosis. If the exam shows that the TB is active, you will be started on medicines to treat the disease.
Remember, tuberculosis can be cured with early detection and treatment. very important that you have your PPD skin test done every year.

Do not worry
it will be taken care of
good luck
droidor
http://mleresidencytips.blogspot.com/
Thank you for your response. I am afraid if it affects my residency.
talk to the OSHA (occupational safety and health administration) of your hospital. you may have delay in starting clinical work for a few weeks at most. I do not think they will prevent you from joining their program.
good luck
droidor
talk to the OSHA (occupational safety and health administration) of your hospital. you may have delay in starting clinical work for a few weeks at most. I do not think they will prevent you from joining their program.
good luck
droidor
http://mleresidencytips.blogspot.com
Idea, DO NOT WORRY...

If you are only mantoux positive but don't have active Pulmonary TB, then you are NON-Infectious. But still have to take 6-9 months of Isoniazid and pyridoxine.

If you do have sputum +ve active Pulmonary Koch's, then you start multi drug ATT and repeat a CXR and Sputum AFB in one month. Most likely you will convert to negative, again at which time you will be non infectious. If not, it will be repeated at the end of 2 months, if not then you'll receive another month of intensive t/t (HRZE)

Bottom line- Get treated ASAP especially if you are sputum +ve, and most likely you will start residency on time.

Felodep
Thank you dr2 and felodep for your support and information.

so, after starting treatment , if I get three negative smears in a month or two, in what gap of time I can start doing residency(I mean how much time I have to stay away from work once I turn negative) ?

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »