Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
old img 96/99 passed all ist attempt - unmatched - olderbutnotwiser
Please Advise me...I am an Older IMG (>20 yrs since Graduation). I was in Private Practice in India and shifted to the US with my Family on a Green Card (Family reunification). I studied hard and got good scores. Step 1 224(96); Step IICK 240(99) and Step 2 CS Passed (all Ist attempts in a span of 5 months). Unfortunately I did not get even one gyne interview call. For 2011 now I plan to have US CE of 3 months through Americlerkships and 6 weeks through Drexel. I also have some US LORS.
My question is....
Is it possible that my efforts are futile and that in spite of all these I am unlikely to get interviews this time too. Should I try for only PSY or some other IMG friendly speciality??
Please Advise...
Thanks
hello uncle,

sorry to hear about this uncle. OB-GYN is competitive, so even 20 years you might have had a hard time.

20 years is very long time..though, i know some uncles who have managed to secure a residency..i doubt USCE in your case makes sense - 20+ years of private practice is sufficient experience. maybe try your hand at clinical research - preferably in family medicine itself.

your loving son
cycle
gyne is xtremely competitive....I understand that after 20 yrs of practice u wd want gyne...but gyne is full of lawsuits in the US....I know many gyne docs who have had to give up practice alltogather coz they didnt have any insurance company to cover malpractice for them anymore....try family medicine...makes more sense....esp being an old grad......apply widely in diff specialities, dont care abt the money....goodluck
You have GC, great scores prepare your CV well. Apply widely, search for programs who does not have YOG cut off, FM is your best bet for now. later you may change specialties,
Finish step 3 if you have not done yet, GL
sorry to hear that, unfortunately so long after graduation and according to the criteria for current residency and matching no matter what you do, you are not going to get any interview
join our "Residency Ready Physicians" so that we can help each other
People with very high qualifications like part-I MRCOG are applying next year! What chance do you think you have ?

50 misc tips in my residency application process, starting from USMLE course ratings, through Physician asst- USCE up to IMG depot programs with no USMLE scores, attempts or IMG grad date requirements

http://imgusmleandresidency.blogspot.com...dency.html
seriously....?
My freind ... you know what ...
listen to the wise man
He likes your chances.... apply for Gyn and FM
inform the wise man when u get interviews...
at ebolaaa
SURGERY LAB RESEARCH AVAILABLE IN A TOP UNIVERSITY IN CHICAGO, IL

Hi,

We have a surgery lab research available at a famous university in Chicago. The position is unpaid.

If interested, contact us at improveCV2013. Provide some brief info about yourself, your visa status, your USMLE scores, when you want to start and for how long.

In the subject, please type "Surgery lab research in Chicago".

The position won't be held. First come, first served.

Thank you.

================================================================

LOOKING FOR RESEARCH POSITIONS TO IMPROVE CV?

Hi,

We have research positions available in different states and in different (sub)specialties which include cardiology, endocrinology, pulmonary, surgery, sleep medicine, neurology, and many others. The majority of the positions are in universities, and some of them are in universities that are among the top 10 in the U.S. You can contact us for details.
If you're looking for a different state or (sub)specialty, we can help too. We just need you to be specific and help us understand what you’re looking for.

If interested, contact us at improveCV2013. Provide some brief info about yourself, your visa status, your USMLE scores, what (sub)specialty, which state, when you want to start and for how long.
In the subject, please mention what you’re looking for. For example: “Cardiology research in New York.”

We can provide a list of references if you would like.

Thank you.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »