Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to drap pt right way - princess24
Kaplan did not ask us to do that. If thats your method, its okay. :-)
otherwise you will be wasting precious seconds filling that glass of water or searching for a cup there!! You will find out the patient's discomfort during History taking depending on whatever is wrong with the patient. Here is what Kaplan taught me....

1. Knock 3 times. Then enter the room.
2. Go to the right side of the patient. Shake hands and say "Hello Mr......, My name is Dr......, I am one of the Doctors here at this hospital and I am here to take care of you. (and smile or appropriate facial expression) ". Then say " Let me cover you to make you feel more comfortable. Excuse me "
Then walk over to that stool , pick up the drape sheet and cover the patient from waist to feet. Then pick up your clip board and come stand on the right side of the patient. Then say this : "So, Mr......, Why are you here today?"
Then you start taking the history. Always make eye contact with the patient while talking. Dont write while talking to patient. You are supposed to make eye contact at that time. If you are writing while asking questions and not making eye contact, it shows you are not paying attention to what the patient is saying. So eye contact is important.
Excellent sharing Usmlezeno!!
I am impressed coz i didnt go to any coaching,yet my approach is exactly the same.
I agree with you.
when are you taking your CS or did it already..
if you want we can do a last minute "bird's eye-view"
If interested then add me at skype drbee7
i will be glad to talk to you
i have my cs on this friday!!!
Are you comfortable in this room??
what you will do if patient says...No I am not comfortable...i am feeling hot....cold...or hungry haha??????
then will you just go out opting these or just say okay Iam sorry and don't care?
it may sound great if SP says "no all is fine". or just dim the light.

This is my personal opinion anyways.....

See ....the patient will ofcourse NOT be comfortable!!! They will be in pain !! And they will say that when you ask them if they are comfortable!! What are you going to do then??!! Start taking the history on pain with/without draping??!! That is not the way to do it....Just keep simple like I described above....Dont ask unnecessary questions that will eat up your time!!

I just took the CS ...I am now waiting for the result but I took the expensive Kaplan course and I have full faith in the Kaplan strategy. I followed what Kaplan taught me. Everybody else can do it from whatever coaching they are taking.

Good Luck!
and one more thing somebody has described above about the draping technique....You say that you never cover legs and feet??!!!....Then where are u covering? on the chest??!! YOU MUST ALWAYS COVER THE LEGS!! ...When you put the drape on put it all the way from abdomen to feet. And in Physical examination you can ask the patient to uncover whatever part of the body you are going to examine. Uncover only what u examine...Dont uncover whole patient either. And there is no such thing as unfolding the drape only 1 time....The drape will be folded several times and kept on the stool...Open it completely and cover the patient from abdomen to feet gently. Thats the way to do it. Again this is how Kaplan taught me.
FIRST OF ALL USMLEZENO............PLEASE BEHAVE YOURSELF........ SEEMS YOU HAVE POOR EHTICAL AND COMMUNICATION.SKILLS...

I AM NOT INTERESTED O KNOW WHAT KAPLAN TEACHES ..........THE DRAPING I HAVE MENTIONED IS THE STANDARD WAY......DISTRACTORS HAVE COME LIKE ASKING A GLASS OF WATER AND DIMMING THE LIGHT...MY STUDENTS HAVE FACED THESE SITUATIONS.

AND DRAP IS NOT PUT ON CHEST NOT PUT ON LEGS AND NOT PUT ON FEET..I ASSUME USMLEZENO THAT YOU DID NOT READIN MY DRAPING PROTOCOL PROPERLY ......

DRAP IS ALWAYS PUT ON PATIENTS THIGHS ,,,,,,THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THIGHS AND LEGS.......

THANK YOU
GO TO ECFMG SITE AND READ IN DETAIL RATHER THEN ARGING ..WHEN YOU.DRAP PATIENT IN THE BEGINNING YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO WRAP HIM TILL THE FEET ...YOU GENTLY PLACE IT ON THE THIGHS/LAP NOT LOWER LEGS AND FEET
agree with usmlezeno .... as draping is not show.. we tell to patient that let me make u more comfortable.. and just putting drape on thigh does not mean to make him comfortable.. We should cover his thigh and also legs partially.. that is right way.. and when u do knee reflex, we have to ask patient..may i lift up ur drape.. u r right usmlezeno.. ur method is correct one..
md.cs2.coach......I did not mean to offend you or anyone here. You can do anyway that you like. Just as you have belief in your technique I have belief in the technique that Kaplan taught me. So, its okay....Why do you have to come out and behave this way towards me??....and comment on my ethics and communication skills??!!!....If my method is wrong Kaplan is wrong. And as far as I know Kaplan is knows for passing a lot of CS students. So, I am sticking to what Kaplan taught me. I have nothing against you. Yoou can go ahead and teach your way to others. But since a question was asked on this thread, I also have a right to give correct answer on this forum. One thing I will not do is support a wrong answer or method of doing things. If I find any wrong advice I will step in and correct it. I dont like to sway people in the wrong direction becoz I believe that is Bad Karma. and if we do Bad karma to others it comes back to us. So, I always offer correct advice. The rest, I respect your method and whatever coaching you offer. You do it your way. But please dont disrespect others on this forum like you just did. That is highly inappropriate behavior. You have no right to speak to me like the way you did. So, please YOU behave yourself. and Mind your language!!

I will not be coming back to this thread again. I have my other steps to study for!!
Good Bye!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »