Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 2011 residency match experience... - marco20
What's up everyone....I matched last year and now i thought I come here and give you my 2 cent for some you applicants....I try to make it short and simple I hope it helps....

I had 86/85/83 and a CS attempt....YOG 2010....had 7 LOR from US doctors in IM/FM/psych...

applied 30 IM / 70 psych / 70FM for total of 160 programs...

Got 3 IM / 6 psych / 8 FM interviews for total of 17 programs...ranked all 17....and matched to my 2 choice....

SO.....this will give you and idea...... I would have got a lot more if I didn't have the CS attempt, because I called the programs and talked to the PC when I wasn't getting the interviews, they told me it was I had an attempt....

Psych is getting more and more competitive because lot of US grads apply to it because of easy life style....so make sure you have good LOR and show lot of interest to it...

If you are applying to IM only and you have an attempt, your scores are under 90's, or old grad....also apply to FM as well.....these days family docs make more than hospitalist...if you do wanna be a hospitalist you can do FM and be a hospitalist.....but if you really really wanna do a fellowship and you have a very good CV, then sure go for IM only...(but it is still risky)....as for fellowships an ID or rheum or other low rank fellowships make little more than Family docs or hospitalist....if you wanna do fellowships for money.....anyways....

if you have an attempt in any of the steps, have your step 3 in hand when you apply...you are obligated to write your step 3 by end of your intership or till Jan of your 2nd year.....for applicants who an attempt, programs don't wanna risk taking that person if he/she ends up failing step3 and have problem with you in the future.....If you have good scores and no attempt don't bother writing it, if you are thinking it will increase you chance of getting more iv....

Make sure you show interest to the field you are applying...this is very important, specially when it comes to psych and FM...since lot of people apply to it as back up....

your personal statement is very very important to get iv.....so be yourself, be honest and show you are someone that they like to meet to get to know you more.....

apply sep, 1st....this is very very important....lot of programs start sending iv's by the first week of sep....so if your application is not complete, PC put your file on the side and iv slots go to others.....

I can't think of anything else right now...if you have any questions, let me know and I might be able to answer you for what I know....

G.L everyone...

congrats marco20.
thanks...ya u too...it's been a while ha? time goes so fast...
yup. it does. what specialty did you match? I am on my way to psych ward Smile
Nice and Genuine!
@target99
you are a hero!

@pahology11
you are a liar - you have not matched - you disappeared mysteriously right after match results -shocked & now you are faking it!..please show some character

@marco20
good advice
target99,

what is up? you too psych? LOL
yeah. Which area did you match? east coast or mid west?
@target99

She didnt match - she is busy with "paperwork" for 2012 match...
Thanks target99....I assume you matched to psych...congrats Smile

pahology, nice! I remember you wanted psych so bad....

I matched to FM....it was a hard decision how to rank my programs but after lot of thoughts and speaking to my fiance I ranked the FMs first....I really like psych but I thought I will miss the medicine part...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »