Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME micro q.........plz explain this concept - versatile58
Latent infection with which of the following viruses is associated with expression of some (but not all) viral genes in B lymphocytes?

A ) Epstein-Barr virus

B ) Hepatitis B virus

C ) Measles virus

D ) Simian virus 40

E ) Varicella-zoster virus
A..
can u plz explain maryam2009. thanks
In primary infection, Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) replicates in oro-pharyngeal epithelial cells and establishes Latency III, II, and I infections in B-lymphocytes.

EBV latent infection of B-lymphocytes is necessary for virus persistence, subsequent replication in epithelial cells, and release of infectious virus into saliva.

http://www.highveld.com/pages/ebv.html
I also think its "a" but am nt 100% sure.The explanation I can think of right now is that EBV is responsible for many malignancies like Burkitts , nasopharyngeal etc.This might be due to the latent infection that sets up these mailganant potentials due to expression of certain genes in B lymphocytes.

I woud like to like to know if my approach is right?So Versatile58 , plz post the correct answer and explanation.
yup its A for that question
burkitt lymphoma=c-myc=cellular oncogen...1st progeny inserted near to host cell
cellular oncogen.
2nd progeny of the virus will pickup part of the host cellular oncogen make i just close
to viral high replicative enhancer=recommbinant virus(some of viral genes+some of
host genes)then malignant changes like cell diffrentiation proteins will expressed by viral
and cellular genes
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »