Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
J1 visa question please help - surg4422
I am in a bit of a tough spot. I am a foreign grad on a J1 visa. I did 2 years of preliminary surgery both at the same institution, I started to grow a little desperate and decided to apply on last year's match for a different specialty. I ended up matching for a PGY-1 in a different surgical specialty. I know that right now it is too soon and I have been doing quite well in my new program. But I feel that something is missing, I feel at a loss and cant stop comparing. I wish I could go back and try to get a Gen surg position by doing some research or finding a spot outside the match. I have read on the ECFMG FAQ that IMG's are only allowed to change specialties once before the end of the PGY-2 year. I was hoping somebody knew if 1) going from prelim surgery to a different specialty counted as a change in specialty and 2) if it did, if it was still possible to get a spot outside the match back in surgery.

I would really appreciate any help you could give me. I know that probably changing programs, going to a new city and stepping outside of my zone of comfort is what has me in a state of shock and that i still need some time before I make a rash decision but I cant stay in something I do not enjoy.

Thanks,
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »